solo cds or Side-bands cds

Rocking Metalaholic

Rocking Metalaholic
Jan 25, 2006
Jackson, MO., USA.
Who you like to see do a solo cd or side-band?

I love to see rest of Iced Earth do a solo/side-band because I heard Jon Schaffer is taking a break from Iced Earth.
Matt Barlow - Vocals
Troy Seele - Lead Guitars
Freddie Vidales - Bass
Brent Smedley - Drums

Good question!!

Sometimes side-band projects just means you are a hired gun, Especially if your a singer. You know, Just record your vocals & get paid. No input other then how you choose to sing what has been handed to you. i.e. All Magnus Karlsson cd's. Not always a bad thing though.

It works best imho if your in a band where your not the main song writer & you have a stock plie of songs you want to record.Songs that are in a different style then your main band. That's always interesting to me. i.e. Russell Allen "Atomic Soul" was a nice departure from Symphony X. I liked that cd a lot!

Just my thoughts.......................

Cans (singer of Hammerfall's) solo album was really good. As well Tony Mills new album. There are many solo albums and I'm having a hard time thinking of people I'd want to hear them from (Tate and many others already have them), but they're very hit and miss.

Halford, Bach, Mills, Dickinson and many other singers and have made some killer solo records. Many others have made horribly mediocre solo albums so I guess it really depends.

The only one off the top of my head I can think of that I'd love to hear a solo album from is Tom Calandra of Z-Lot-Z.

One band that I really like is in fact a side-band - Witchery. They are comprised of members of other bands and record whenever they have time to do so. Bassis Sharlee D'Angelo is with Arch Enemy so that keeps him pretty busy and the other members are likewise engaged. The bad part is you never know when a new album is coming out - if ever.

Cans (singer of Hammerfall's) solo album was really good. As well Tony Mills new album.

Halford, Bach, Mills, Dickinson and many other singers and have made some killer solo records.

I have thought about buying Can's solo cd, Maybe I should just do it! :headbang:

Agree Halford & Dickenson have made some killer cd's :kickass:

Tony Mills new cd has a nice Siam vibe going for it. Not as good as Siam IMHO but still very good.

Who you like to see do a solo cd or side-band?

I love to see rest of Iced Earth do a solo/side-band because I heard Jon Schaffer is taking a break from Iced Earth.
Matt Barlow - Vocals
Troy Seele - Lead Guitars
Freddie Vidales - Bass
Brent Smedley - Drums

I'd love to see Matt get back w/ Pyramaze if IE is really going on break.

I guess you could say Krux is a side-band for Leif Edling. + you have the Great! Mats leven on vocals....

Have you ever checked Abstrak Algebra? Was Leif first side project also with Mats on vocals.

And yes Krux kicks doom all the way! :headbang:

Some side projects/bands I do like:

Glenn Tipton solo albums (specially "Edge Of The World")
MD.45
Creozoth
Roxxcalibur
Transatlantic
Liquid Tension Experiment
Spastic Ink
Bozzio/Levin/Stevens
Platypus (specially the debut)
Force Of Evil
Sinergy debut
Avantasia (specially "The Scarecrow")
Concept Of God
Gordian Knot
Mercury Tide
Zoser Mez

I have thought about buying Can's solo cd, Maybe I should just do it! :headbang:

Agree Halford & Dickenson have made some killer cd's :kickass:

Tony Mills new cd has a nice Siam vibe going for it. Not as good as Siam IMHO but still very good.

Summed up my thoughts on the new Mills.

If you like Hammerfall, grab Cans. Personally I like Cans a bit better but they're the same vibe. Sort of like Firewind and Dream Evil. Speaking of which, Gus G. guests on the Cans album. :)

Speaking of which, Gus G. guests on the Cans album. :)

Plus a lot other interesting guest. And the composition was managed by many talented musicians too. I think it was a very good project. For what I read for the time being it will be a one time shot, no plans for another, but that one was pretty well conceived.

I would like to see the two songwriters of Vanden Plas (Stephan Lill and Gunter Werno) do a non Vanden Plas project together.
I would also like to see Wolf Hoffmann do another solo release, but this one a little heavier maybe.
I would also like to see another Beautiful Sin release. It was a project founded by Uli Kusch and featurerd JOrn Viggo Lofstad, guitarist of Pagan's Mind.

Bryant