Some FrozenSun Showcase kinda thing

Monsterhulk

New Metal Member
Jan 26, 2010
Hi all,

i ve never posted some of those amp-sh00t-outs - gear-checks - tutorials or something similar useful alike stuff.

But this time i couldn t resist to do some kind of "mini-showcase" for those FrozenSunAudio IRs. These IRs BLASTED me away. And though the AxeFX built in IRs are realy nice the most people use some third party IRs to get the best out of this box. And i for myself tested a lot of them ... OwnHammer, RedWirez, Messiah and so on. All of them great IRs but none of them had this WOW feeling like the FrozenSuns. It was realy like connecting an amp to a cab and PLAYING guitar and not DIALING in a sound.

So to show what i mean and what impact the IRs have to the sound i did the following

i took some of the most "highgainy" ampsims of the Axe and made a simple
"boost-ampsim-monocabsim" preset.

For the boost pedal i took a "PlusDistortion".

The ampsims were the 5150, the 5150 III, Diezel VH4, Diezel Herbert, the JVM and the Splawn Nitro.

The cabsim was loaded with some of the FrozenSun IRs (Minotaur, Griffin and Fredman).

I did NOT dial in the sound on the ampsim. I just use the presence "knob" of it. Everything else is default.

For the "backing track" i used an AxeFX basspreset with my Stagg 5-string and for the drums Superior Drummer with a lot of DAW work (yeah i know that snare sound sucks).

The guitar i used was a Schecter BlackJack SLS C-7 (yes Lasse a guitar can have more than SIX-STRINGS).

For more details bout wich cab i used with what ampsim visit the SoundCloud site where i put the files ...

[soundcloud]https://soundcloud.com/restzeit/sets/frozensunshowcase[/soundcloud]

I hope you enjoy it and leave some comments. Maybe you can tell me what "amp-cab-combination" sounds best. Would be nice to get some feedback.

Lots of thanks to Jake from FrozenSun to do these great IRs

Gretz M

I might pick those up, I like what he is doing. I remember chatting with Jake a few years ago and getting some reamps done and I learned quite a bit of valuable information that helped me use what I had in a much better way. He went on to recommend some mods for my equipment at the time. He always valued my opinion, and would explain things well. Seems like an advertisement, but it's nice to have someone understand things beyond the names and model numbers. To have something that's already set up that I could just load up as an IR is mighty tempting.

Is there some he has set up for using on the left & right rhythm tracks for balance? That was one of the things I really want is to have that multi mic balance just right.

I might pick those up, I like what he is doing. I remember chatting with Jake a few years ago and getting some reamps done and I learned quite a bit of valuable information that helped me use what I had in a much better way. He went on to recommend some mods for my equipment at the time. He always valued my opinion, and would explain things well. Seems like an advertisement, but it's nice to have someone understand things beyond the names and model numbers. To have something that's already set up that I could just load up as an IR is mighty tempting.

Hey Greg. Has it really been years already? Feels like we just spoke a few months ago.

Is there some he has set up for using on the left & right rhythm tracks for balance? That was one of the things I really want is to have that multi mic balance just right.

Yes, that's one of the major principles that these packs were founded on. You could choose a different IR from the same pack and put one L and one R and it will still sound natural.