Some times it pays to be Finn - NitND released today

Clayman77

Katatoned
Jan 20, 2002
Atlanta, Georgia
Visit site
I nearly shitted my pants when I called the local record store here in Helsinki earlier today, and asked if they got new Katatonia album today - and the answer was YES. :headbang: Just placed the CD spinning and it sounds fukkin' brilliant. Can't say anything profound yet, just that it sounds as good as I hoped and expected.

One surprise though, even when I had read this somewhere, is that Jonas has written most of the songs - Jonas has written 8 songs, Anders & Jonas together 3 songs, and Anders 1 song.

I also bought it today (the digibook edition) and just finished the first spin. Sounds awesome and also challenging. Not an easy album which is actually great thing. It doesn't get old (at least not quickly anyway) and it will be very rewarding when after several listens it will fully open.

Keyboard adds very good element to the atmosphere of the album. Katatonia already mastered creating melancholic atmosphere but keys take it to the different/next level. Production and the performances of the band are also top notch. I noticed that Idle Blood sound quite a lot like Opeth's more mellow songs.

I'll post longer review after I have listened to the album several times.
:kickass:

Sounds very mellow to me, which is not a bad thing.
Very ambient and atmospheric in places.
It's gonna take many listens to peel through all the layers here.
There's indeed many mellow and even ambient sounding parts on the album. On the other hand, because of this variety those metallic parts sound heavier and bigger though. It's quite sure that some fans won't like this more ambient-like approach, but I think most of us will.
BlueSky is probably gonna be very happy. :p

I nearly shitted my pants when I called the local record store here in Helsinki earlier today, and asked if they got new Katatonia album today - and the answer was YES. :headbang: Just placed the CD spinning and it sounds fukkin' brilliant. Can't say anything profound yet, just that it sounds as good as I hoped and expected.

One surprise though, even when I had read this somewhere, is that Jonas has written most of the songs - Jonas has written 8 songs, Anders & Jonas together 3 songs, and Anders 1 song.

What songs each one wrote?

What songs each one wrote?

1. Forsaker - Nyström, Renkse
2. The Longest Year - Renkse
3. Idle Blood - Nyström
4. Onward Into Battle - Nyström, Renkse
5. Liberation - Renkse
6. The Promise of Deceit - Renkse
7. Nephilim - Renkse
8. New Night - Renkse
9. Inheritance - Renkse
10. Day And Then the Shade - Renkse
11. Ashen - Nyström, Renkse
12. Departer - Renkse

All lyrics are written by Renkse, Except Idle Blood by Nyström and Departer by Renkse and Linder.

I've now listened the album through 4 times and it just keeps on getting better all the time. Guys have made it again - topped their previous album.

I don't wanna write any song by song reviews coz you need to hear this yourself. Don't wanna spoil anyones first listen.

Album of the year, easily. I'd even go so far as to say that this is the best album ever. :headbang:

1. Forsaker - Nyström, Renkse
2. The Longest Year - Renkse
3. Idle Blood - Nyström
4. Onward Into Battle - Nyström, Renkse
5. Liberation - Renkse
6. The Promise of Deceit - Renkse
7. Nephilim - Renkse
8. New Night - Renkse
9. Inheritance - Renkse
10. Day And Then the Shade - Renkse
11. Ashen - Nyström, Renkse
12. Departer - Renkse

All lyrics are written by Renkse, Except Idle Blood by Nyström and Departer by Renkse and Linder.

I've now listened the album through 4 times and it just keeps on getting better all the time. Guys have made it again - topped their previous album.

I don't wanna write any song by song reviews coz you need to hear this yourself. Don't wanna spoil anyones first listen.

Album of the year, easily. I'd even go so far as to say that this is the best album ever. :headbang:

Thanks a lot

BlueSky is probably gonna be very happy. :p

Lots of atmospheric keys you say? Hell ya! :danceboy: (Heh, I'm pretty sure I've never used that smiley before, and never will again. It's a one time occasion.)

edit: Just ordered from Burning Shed so hopefully it comes soon.