Someone help me understand this..

deanbailey

O.C.D Member
Dec 14, 2006
Cape Town
ok, this question continues from this thread:
http://www.ultimatemetal.com/forum/production-tips/308868-amp-control-room-cab-booth.html
but with a different nature.

I've been getting quotes all over to find the best speaker cables, then realized i could probably get 'em free because a family member of mine works at an art/performance-theater. He's the electrician but his colleague (a friend of mine) is the AE there which is who i spoke to.

Anyway i asked if they have any (hi grade)speaker cables they don't use, and he told me they don't use audio cables to their speakers but normal "electric extension cords" (earth/live/neutral) as speaker cables and "CAT 5" cables which is like PC network cables.
Check the banner on the front page http://www.neutrik.com/content/home/home.aspx its a CAT 6 connector
Now this is one of the best theaters in town, so i'm a little confused.

Then i went to the nearest instrument store and i discussed this matter with them and they said, "it sounds about right, the amp is sending some voltage so it can work"

Is this method possible? Will there be any change in the signal?
if so i can save quite a bit of money.

Those neutrik connectors still only seem to be data transfer cables, not speaker cables. The specs list their transfer rate, etc. I don't see how those could be used for power.

Now, for rigging lights to controllers, that's a different story. The product page even says they are for lights.
here's a FAQ explanantion:
http://www.neutrik.com/content/technicalsupport/faq.aspx?faqId=205_456196034
Also, FWIW, I've heard many people say that using nice lamp cord (extension cord) wire is great for the interior of speaker cabs. I know a few guys who have re-wired cabs with lamp cord and been extremely pleased.

yeah during the explanation they only mentioned audio systems/hi-fi's nothing about guitar amps or cabs, they said "normal speaker cables emphasized the low end to much then we replaced the cable with a normal electric cord and it made our shittest rig sound even better"

The old cables were "bass heavy" so i guess it filtered the high end.

EDIT: yeah i didn't think the "CAT 5/6" cables had anything to do with speaker connections, he might have misunderstood. I'd have to double check though.

all i want to know is, is using an extension cord better than using a speaker cable? or vice versa...

...or is that really a dumb question.

yeah i would but the function of a speaker cable is to provide a low-resistance path etc you know the rest, there is a risk (which i don't want to take) of damage to the head or cab if the incorrect cable is used.
lol so i thought i'd ask here if anyone has tried this and could share the pro's/cons

why make it more complex than it needs to be? Buy some good quality BIG gauge speaker wire(preferabley quad leads) get some nice BIG nuetrik connectors. solder it all up and be done with it. this is what I did and it took about 15 minutes to wire it all together and I have been recording that way for the last 2 1/2 years

Love Curran

@Curran: yeah, thats my preferred method too, i ended up buying the Neutrik's and fat speaker cable anyway.

But this was just getting to me so I researched this a little further:
@nwright: they apparently use the "cat5" cable just not the connector. And when AE's companies from Australia and UK etc come over they ask to use the same thing...cat5 cable to XLR into the speakers.

http://www.callicrate.com/Howto/Cat-5 Ends.jpg

They just make sure the group of cables (green/blue/white etc) used for an individual pin, corresponds to the other side. (like matching red with red and blue with blue on a normal cable)

And the more cables you use the better low end response you get, that's why they moved from normal speaker cable to "cat5". So for their sub's they obviously use more.

Oh...the cables are all DIY.

Anyway, i only asked because most people on this forum really know what they're talking about so i thought maybe they could explain this further.