Someone Is Sharing Too Much Of Dan's Music Online!

Oh god, I haven't even reached 100 CDs yet and I already feel like I'm drowning in them, haha, plus I have a few CDs that are too big on my shelf so I keep on losing them all the time (10,000 Days, The Great Cold Distance ltd ed, Moonspell - Memorial, DT - Live at Budokan, Peeping Tom).

And I don't know, if it wasn't for downloading, I would never have gotten into Dan's music (was a lot into Opeth back then and downloaded Steel from a buddy :d), but now that I really dig Dan's work I'm willing to spend a buck on his albums. Too bad the record store I usually get stuff from only has the Crimsons, Alive Again and Invisible :/

SomewhereBetweenSunrise&Sunset said:
Since this post seems to be turning into a "look at my CDs thread"
(which I have nothing wrong with that at all), I figure I would put my 2cents in... :)

1079502673_l.jpg

I really just wanted to say that I buy CDs too :headbang:

Allen

Allen, I hate you, man! You've got 3x more CDs than I do (by my estimates) AND you have a sweet drum kit. I've been wanting to buy one for ages now. So now I sit at my piano, weeping in the presence of my mere 1,100 CDs.

Here's a classic from that torrent site. The new Maiden leaked and apparently the download was slow and people were whining (and it's fucking FREE!!). So this turd replies:

...will seed once i finish dling to support maideeeen!

Hahahahahahahaha!!

Quite a response on my posted "Wall". Ha! Well the CDs don't fly off the shelves, but whatever is sitting on top usually falls off as I rock out on the drums, it's pretty funny actually.

some people here might be interested in this site who haven't already heard of it: www.rateyourmusic.com/~nacho220

You can catalogue and rate your music collection among other things, it is a great website. They just updated to a new version and have added lots of new features that I am still roaming through. That link there is for my profile. Anyways...

According to RYM, multiple CD sets only count as one album, though it makes sense, I prefer to count them as is - multiple CDs, therefore my current CD count is: 4,209

The shelves I purchased through www.racksandstands.com, although you can find them at many online shops that sell that sort of thing. I know someone posted a link to another store as well...it is a black CD-1500. The price varies, but usually the best place to get it is a place that offers free shipping on it. They usually run from about $220-$260 if I remember correctly. Thanks for the comments on the set-up, I enjoy spending time organizing my collection and things of that nature. I do have a "vinyl" wall and "other music stuff" section behind that room as well!

I actually bought my drum kit off eBay, used but in like new condition, back when eBay was a lot better than it is today (IMHO of course). It is a 9-piece kit but I use a Tama Iron Cobra double bass pedal for double bass playing. I also like to play with as little of a kit as possible most of the time because I think it is best to be tight with those 4 drums because it is going to be your most used parts of the drum kit, and then worry about adding toms and cymbals and all that. Anywho...that's besides the point I suppose....

OH, and I will accept my "HARDCORE Award" with excitement! Did I need a speech prepared? :loco:

"One score and about 3 years ago, I was born. Then, I started collecting CDs. The end."

Allen

SomewhereBetweenSunrise&Sunset said:
According to RYM, multiple CD sets only count as one album, though it makes sense, I prefer to count them as is - multiple CDs, therefore my current CD count is: 4,209

Yeah, the rule I go by is multi-disc sets count as 1, unless each disc is a full-length album. For example, Pestilence's Testimony of the Ancients/Consuming Impulse counts as 2, because each album is on its own CD in the set. But this 4-disc Neil Diamond box set counts as 1, because it's one big compilation. Multiple albums on one disc count as 1, as well. To put it in Dan terms, the Edge of Sanity 2CD rarities set counts as 1, whereas the Unicorn demos box set counts as 4.

I might have around 250 CDs. I probably download a lot more than I buy, and I don't support all those bands then again I don't listen to most of it after the first time. It has to be REALLY outstanding to get a purchase from me. I haven't even replayed most of the promos I get through UM.. oh snap, i didnt add those into the CD count! They don't count though right? :) Only new Rhapsody actually got replayed, it's pretty sad isn't it? Sure I know stuff is good and I can like it, but I never like anything enough to listen to it a lot. I still listen to the CDs I bought of course, so downloading... it's not exactly an evil that should be stopped, because it does help me to hear of new bands (next CDs I'll buy will probably be Hammers of Misfortune, Transatlantic, etc) and people make a big deal out of it for nothing. People shouldn't even have to buy so many CDs. If the record companies weren't so greedy and actually paid the bands, they could only sell a smooth 50,000 albums or even less and make a good living. So don't look at me or other downloaders, CDs are overpriced and they don't pay the bands who create them so what's the point. Download albums and buy band t-shirts or donate to their paypals and stuff.

I tell people who say "We'll split net profit 50/50" to fuck off. You think you can come and set up a deal in 10 minutes and receive half of the profits of what took me 2 years and countless hours of torment to create... Maybe I should start my own record label of fairness and sign all these great underground bands. :(

Hey Oinkness, you do realize that not all bands are glitzy millionaires who can afford to lose money to downloaders? Guys like Dan and other prog and dm bands are not mainstream, they get their support from people buying their albums dude!

So if you get albums and listen to them once, what's the point? That's just kinda pointless if you ask me, so is saying that all labels screw people (well actually most do but it's not unanimous). And also remember you can buy merch straight from the bands to give them all their well-deserved money!! People come on this forum a lot asking where to find Dan's music, when all they have to do is email him! :)

And another thing, what's your opinion about people sharing your own band's stuff?

How is the quality of those shelves? Solid wood or particle board? Do the shelves hold up?

And yeah, eBay sucks now. It's 60% stores, 35% rip-off sellers selling bootlegs and fluffing up each others' feedbacks through bogus auctions, and then 5% true auctions. eBay sucks now compared to back in 1998 when I joined.

Kenneth R. said:
egay gets nothin from me unless Dan or somebody cool is selling :D
You can still find some good shit on there, you can also find albums that are otherwise hard to get. For instance, this past week I got Pathogen's Bloodine album and Mylidian's Birth Of The Prophet album, both not easy to find outside of Australia and France. I got them through eBay from Singapore and a Russian label (neither a bootleg, luckily).

Plus, on the odd occasion you can still win an auction and acquire a cool something-or-other. :)

Eyesore said:
How is the quality of those shelves? Solid wood or particle board? Do the shelves hold up?

And yeah, eBay sucks now. It's 60% stores, 35% rip-off sellers selling bootlegs and fluffing up each others' feedbacks through bogus auctions, and then 5% true auctions. eBay sucks now compared to back in 1998 when I joined.

At $200ish for such a huge item, I guarantee it's particle board. In fact, I know it is.

I use these: http://www.multimediashelves.com/cd-m-9-24.html

They're solid wood, so they're expensive, given the CD capacity. But they're great.

I look everywhere for Dan's stuff in Melbourne, but its really hard to find. And whats more, I dont have a job and i'm poor and all that shit. I admit to downloading stuff, but I buy it back whenever I have the money. I got into Dan's stuff over the internet, reading about it, downloading a song or two and then loving it, then trying to find and buy the albums - some successfully, some not. I prefer to have CDs, I love having the packaging and the actual CD, I really like the feeling of putting a CD in and pressing play... but some music I just can't find!
If everybody really did try to buy music properly, then sharing wouldnt suck like it does today.
What do you reckon - am I evil?