Someone please help me figure out why this sucks

[UEAK]Clowd

Apr 29, 2008
www.gamesiren.com/fhd/SeeYouSmile.mp3

it's pop punky girl singer type stuff, fair warning.

completely lost perspective on this. can't get the clarity on the guitars I want. can't get the vocals to have that "thing" they need to have (would love to hear Ermz chime in on the vox!!!)

I do like the drums, and they are more than half natural too which is a first for me.

edit: www.gamesiren.com/fhd/SeeYouSmile.wav if you want to listen to a wav version

The guitars have a lot of low mids, it's mudding them up. They'd probably sound fat on their own, but for the mix context it isn't working. The toms are too loud as well.

Drums sound really good, but the toms have too much low-end and clip.

I don't like the distorted guitars, they're quite cloudy. I think a different amp or cab/impulse is needed. They're not terrible, and you could leave them as is, but if you're not happy with them I don't think it's something you can fix with just EQ.

Vocals fit well, but I think the problem lies with the singer. She sounds bored in parts. This seems to be a common problem with female singers, moreso than guys.

I would cut some highs on the acoustics in the chorus, or clamp down on them a bit harder. They're just poking out a little too much, but I wouldn't lower them in volume.

Perhaps some more mids or clean highs on the bass?

Lots of comments because it's a really good mix and I want to hear it sound even better!

Drums sound really good, but the toms have too much low-end and clip.

I don't like the distorted guitars, they're quite cloudy. I think a different amp or cab/impulse is needed. They're not terrible, and you could leave them as is, but if you're not happy with them I don't think it's something you can fix with just EQ.

Vocals fit well, but I think the problem lies with the singer. She sounds bored in parts. This seems to be a common problem with female singers, moreso than guys.

I would cut some highs on the acoustics in the chorus, or clamp down on them a bit harder. They're just poking out a little too much, but I wouldn't lower them in volume.

Perhaps some more mids or clean highs on the bass?

Lots of comments because it's a really good mix and I want to hear it sound even better!

thanks Morgan! I appreciate it a lot.

I think I've cleaned up the guitars a lot now thanks to you(I was already cutting a bunch of low mids out of the guitars to begin with so it was making me think the problem was something else.) and I've tidied up the toms too.

uploading a new one now

ps love the quote in your profile haha

www.gamesiren.com/fhd/SeeYouSmileFINAL.wav