Something to do Thurs 7/21

Steph Harris

Maidens' Bass
I'll be sitting in with the Marina Del Rey Summer Symphony again for another FREE concert. Here's the program: Fete Polonaise/ Chabrier, Concerto in D minor for 2 Pianos and orchestra/ Poulenc, Souvenirs / Barber, and Polovetsian Dances / Borodin. The concert will be held at Burton Chace Park, 13650 Mindanao Way, Marina Del Rey, CA at 7pm. For more info, call (310)305-9595. :)

Hey I remember singing the Polovetsian Dances in my HS choir! I wonder if it's the same one? We sang The Dance of Young Girls.
The beginning lyric was "on the wings of gentle zephers". I remember one line at the end of the section went " a land where many a time I stood to listen to songs so sweet and dear(?) to free born MAIDENS!" Amazing what the brain retains - HAHA!

I went. It would have been nice to know that you have to bring your own chair, arrive very early to get a decent spot, and park east of Lincoln Blvd in order to avoid the obscene amount they charge for closer parking.

I could barely see our favorite double bass player, and I'm guessing she never saw me.

It was nice to see a long haired conductor. Not even any female conductors I'll seen have had hair that long.

I had a machine take a dump on me at the day job. that's the bad thing about being able to fix just about anything, every once in a while they want you to prove it. so there I was up to my neck in a fouled up molding machine. I didn't get home till 5pm (been there since 5am) so by the time I got cleaned up it was to late to drive the two plus hours to the performance. This day job is really starting to foul up my social life. Oh well I don't have to work tomorrow so I can sleep in so I don't fall asleep on the way home from LB.
Kerry

Jeff Milne said:
I went. It would have been nice to know that you have to bring your own chair, arrive very early to get a decent spot, and park east of Lincoln Blvd in order to avoid the obscene amount they charge for closer parking.

I could barely see our favorite double bass player, and I'm guessing she never saw me.

It was nice to see a long haired conductor. Not even any female conductors I'll seen have had hair that long.

I didn't see you there but I'm glad you made it. Sorry you had to go through all that trouble with parking,etc., There are chairs set out at the venue but they fill up very quickly so it's good to bring your own just in case. There will be another concert there August 4. If you decide to go again, please be sure to say "hi" during intermission or after the concert. It would be nice to see you there. :Spin:

It is so cool that the Iron Maidens members ( tongue twister) have different music projects besides the HM thing. Just appreciating and playing different styles and having open minds. Sometimes HM musicians can be quite limited in their thinking and not see beyond the world of hard rock.

nlukes said:
It is so cool that the Iron Maidens members ( tongue twister) have different music projects besides the HM thing. Just appreciating and playing different styles and having open minds. Sometimes HM musicians can be quite limited in their thinking and not see beyond the world of hard rock.

That's where great talent emerges from. Having a diverse musical back ground is a great asset. Rock and even metal finds it's root's in country and blues, And that is traceable back to classical. So people that are content on listening to one genre of music and having a closed mind to everything else, well they are missing out on what music truly is. I didn't fully realize this until I started to play guitar and bass. It really changed how I received music. I have a much better understanding now. And the bands I listened to way back when are totally new to me now. I hear things that were there but I didn't pick up on before. it was like I was just seeing the surface.

Anyway I'm going to be there the next time.
Kerry

Steph Harris said:
There will be another concert there August 4. If you decide to go again, please be sure to say "hi" during intermission or after the concert. It would be nice to see you there. :Spin:

During intermission I did a couple laps around the tent looking for you but to no avail.

It was announced that the August 4th concert will be all Puccini. I would assume that that means portions of some of his operas and/or similar vocal works, and I don't intend to subject myself to that even to see you!

But it was also announced that there will be another concert there August 18th, I'll likely attend that one if you're performing in it.

Jeff Milne said:
During intermission I did a couple laps around the tent looking for you but to no avail.

It was announced that the August 4th concert will be all Puccini. I would assume that that means portions of some of his operas and/or similar vocal works, and I don't intend to subject myself to that even to see you!

But it was also announced that there will be another concert there August 18th, I'll likely attend that one if you're performing in it.

I was still inside the tent ~ I'll wander out the next time. The next concert is definitely an opera concert so I probably won't see you there. Hopefully we'll bump into each other at the following show. :)

What a wuss. " I don't intend to subject myself to that even to see you" Come on!!! She's only the most skilled bassest ( not to mention best looking) around You can't subject yourself to a little singing al a opera style to see her? My german blood is just cooking waiting for a good opera. not to mention the hidin fact that all these prim and proper folks think she's just a musician for the local syphony All the while knowing she's a headbanger at heart.
Kerry

Jeff Milne said:

I don't blame you Jeff. Now that I know exactly what the repertoire is (I've already been to couple rehearsals), I think this next concert will be a bit too much to handle unless you are REALLY into opera. There is a lot of recitative in some of the pieces we are doing so it will be kind of brutal to sit through if you're not a big opera fan. I would be more inclined to invite people to the show if we were doing only opera "hits" if you know what I mean: Puccini is popular as an opera composer, but we are doing some of his more obscure numbers. If you're new to opera, I would recommend a Gilbert and Sullivan operetta to get you started. The Mikado is one of my favorites. :)