Sonata Arctica - Ecliptica vs.Days of Grace

_PoNy_

PoNy Metal Inc
Jun 9, 2010
Israel
The following review was made by PoNy (Danny) for UltimateMetal.com . The idea behind this review is to compare between Sonata Arctica's differnces that happen in time.

cd-cover.jpg
Vs.
sonata_cover.jpg

Ecliptica was the first album ever made by Sonata Arctica. The offical genre given to it is Power Metal.
Most of the album is full of songs that are common to the Power Metal genre: fast strumming on insturments, some ballads, and some non-sense songs.
For me, that was the best album ever made by Sonata Arctica.
The band's members were: Tony (vocal + keyboard), Jani (guitar), Janne (bass), Tomy (drums).
Altuogh it was the first album ever made by the band, it is the best-selling album so far in several countries as: Finland, England, Sweden, Japan and others.
This album was recorded via Tico Tico Studios.

Days of Grays is the last album so far made by Sonata Arctica. The offical genre given to it is Progressive Metal.
Most of the album is fill with ballads of all kinds: fast-playing ballads, and slow-playing ballads.
The only single that came out from this band is "Flag in the Ground" - that the vocalist (Tony) wrote even before the band made Ecliptica in 1998.
Three years before making this album, when only released the album Unia, the band had to fire the guitarist Jani due to his lockdown at the millatary prison.
They have brought Elias Viljanen as a replacement. The bassist was also replaced during the time, and Marko joined instad of Janne.
The best-selling songs of this album are: The Last Amazing Grays and Flag in the Ground, with over 10 million downloads at iTunes.
Also, this album (as Unia) was recorded via NuclearBlast Europe.

Songs on Ecliptica:

Replica

8th Commandment

Songs on Days of Grays:

Flag in the Ground

The Last Amazing Grays

In the Dark

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the bio, now how about a review?
I have no doubt that Days of Grace isn't as good as Ecliptica. I think the followup Silence was also a very good recording, in some ways better then Ecliptica. I haven't followed the band's new recordings due to poor reviews, saw them live about 4 years ago and they were good.

that wasn't a review? lol i thought it was...
and yeah, the band's better album is Ecliptica...
although, Days of Grays weren't that awful as you might think.

the band is known for their superb live concertes, so i could imagine they were great live lmao.