Sonata Arctica tonight

Yet another show I will be missing.
I expect a detailed review!
Pics would be nice.
I love any pic of a band whose singer can pull off plaid pants with a tie dyed shirt!

I already know the setlist. Again...it seems rather short. Still cant wait to see them. They are coming back in Feb I guess for some Canadian and US dates which are not listed yet. Visions of Atlantis are opening for them on that tour. Hopefully it hits Chicago.

here is the set list from another show

Black and White
Paid In Full
Victoria's Secret
8Th
Tallulah
Full Moon
Caleb
Black Sheep
It Wont Fade
Craven Image
San Sabaston
My Land
Dont Say A Word
The Cage

I really wish they were doing "Good Enough is Good Enough" from the new disc. My fave from the disc.

I will update once I get home.

Hey Diabolik, were you wearing a "Stop Being a Cunt" shirt from powerfest? I saw someone with one on. I was waiting outside with some friends and I said something to someone with that shirt on.

great show btw. just got home

Seriously I don't get what the deal is these days with bands playing such short shows. It's almost insulting when a younger band goes out there and only plays 10-15 songs as a headlining act but then you have old folks like Rush and Van Halen playing 30 songs a night. It seems about 10 years ago it'd be the norm for most bands to play about 2 to 2 and half hours a night??? Does anybody else agree with me on this one or am I just getting to damn picky?

Seriously I don't get what the deal is these days with bands playing such short shows. It's almost insulting when a younger band goes out there and only plays 10-15 songs as a headlining act but then you have old folks like Rush and Van Halen playing 30 songs a night. It seems about 10 years ago it'd be the norm for most bands to play about 2 to 2 and half hours a night??? Does anybody else agree with me on this one or am I just getting to damn picky?

No, I think you are right. I think that lots of bands though would loose steam playing two hours or more. there are only certain bands who can pull this off. I think the main reason is it is the clubs and tour packages itself. Lots of clubs in th city have the shows end at 10 on the dot and with over inflated package tours with 4 or 5 bands, they need to shorten everything. The best tour package I saw recently was when it was Leaves Eyes and Blind Guardian. No locals, Leaves Eyes got a good amount of time and them Blind Guardian got thier full run. I think for a lot of bands out there that they would just be filling time to make thier set really long. Only bands with a huge discograpghy would be able to pull it off like Helloween, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Sonata, and so on. bands who are newer and popular would be doing tons of cover songs to fill 2 hours.

No, I think you are right. I think that lots of bands though would loose steam playing two hours or more. there are only certain bands who can pull this off. I think the main reason is it is the clubs and tour packages itself. Lots of clubs in th city have the shows end at 10 on the dot and with over inflated package tours with 4 or 5 bands, they need to shorten everything. The best tour package I saw recently was when it was Leaves Eyes and Blind Guardian. No locals, Leaves Eyes got a good amount of time and them Blind Guardian got thier full run. I think for a lot of bands out there that they would just be filling time to make thier set really long. Only bands with a huge discograpghy would be able to pull it off like Helloween, Edguy, Gamma Ray, Sonata, and so on. bands who are newer and popular would be doing tons of cover songs to fill 2 hours.

Well yeah I do realize that newer bands would not be able to fill a 2 hour set and obviously it's still quality of quantity. I see what you're saying on the clubs but these shows I remember from back in the 90's were held at the same clubs with the same curfews but then again you didn't have these 3 or 4 band packages on every tour, you had an opener and a headliner. I guess maybe the concert going experience has changed a lot over the last 10 years and not for the better IMO.

Well yeah I do realize that newer bands would not be able to fill a 2 hour set and obviously it's still quality of quantity. I see what you're saying on the clubs but these shows I remember from back in the 90's were held at the same clubs with the same curfews but then again you didn't have these 3 or 4 band packages on every tour, you had an opener and a headliner. I guess maybe the concert going experience has changed a lot over the last 10 years and not for the better IMO.

I agree. I really miss the two band tour package. I hate this 4 bands a night thing. The first two get rushed, the third plays too long and then the headliner usually gets cut off. The Therion show was great. The opening act was some local from Wisconsin and they played like 25 minutes and then Therion played over two hours and the show stil got over at 9.

I spoke with the owner of Vnuk's recently and asked him how he goes about selecting opening bands. He told me that he wants to use local bands to open because they tend to get their parents and friends to attend the show. He relies on the local bands to bring in the numbers! Shocking news to me.

He doesn't have any Chicago bands open up for his shows because it is too far for their mothers to drive their little brother and sisters to. ;)

I too miss the days of the 2 band package.

yeah, with local openers you draw familly, freinds, and co-workers who would never go to a metal show come. Even though they leave after thier freinds band plays usually, it helps draw the people in.

I didn't go to Harvard, though I did read a lot of Harvard Business Case studies during my MBA.
So if you want any more profound statements of simple business practices, just ask me!
I am full of them!