Sonata Arctica

I was disappointed at ProgPower, too, but not because of the replacement guitarist. He didn't have the stage presence of the original (Jani),but I thought his playing was a bit more crisp and precise compared to when I'd seen them live before, and from the For the Sake of Revenge DVD.

Ken

They were awesome at the Metro in Chicago last September. Elias (that's his name, right?) is a good replacement.

we must have not been at the same show, they were still good, but they lacked the energy and fun they had last time they were in town. It seemed like they were just going through the motions this time around.

I think Elias is a very solid replacement for Jani. Their show at ProgPower was lackluster, but I hear Tony was sick at that show. :(

Unfortunately, I also heard from friends who saw them a few weeks before in Chicago that it was basically the exact same show both times. I guess SA doesn't put any variety in their stage show. Same crowd banter, same coreography, etc... That's a shame, too, because I like SA.

Even Unia has grown on me. *gets the umbrella read to defend from rotting fruit and cinderblocks*

I think most people agree that SA are a good band.
Just not really a power metal band that will stand the test of time, like a Helloween, Blind Guardian, etc.

At least not to me. Others might think differently I suppose.

we must have not been at the same show, they were still good, but they lacked the energy and fun they had last time they were in town. It seemed like they were just going through the motions this time around.

Well, I guess I agree. But the show last September wasn't bad at all. I guess what I was trying to say is that I would go see them again, after seeing them last time.