Song titles that need to be retired

adaher

Apr 18, 2004
Coral Springs, FL
1. Set the World on Fire- Why does everyone want to burn up the world?
2. Fire and Ice - Yeah, opposites, we learned that in 2nd grade.
3. Eye of the Storm - Cool metaphor, but please, no more.
4. Break Away- I prefer to be told to stand and fight, much more inspiring
5. Calling My Name- If it was someone specific, this would be cool, but usually the lyricist is hearing voices. Is this common among musicians?
6. Into the Blue- Artension was pretty literal when they did an "Into the Blue", talking about flying jets, but most of the time when this title is used it's pretty abstract.
7. Back to Hell- Who let you out?
8. The Key- This should actually be #1. Lots of keys going around.
9. Signs- Lots of signs too. I preferred the Beatles more literal take on it. I don't consider a song title overused if it's literally what the song is about, it's more the overuse of metaphors that gets annoying in metal.
10. Never Again- Disturbed used this title for a song about the Holocaust. In any other context it's just overdone.
11. Rain- Okay, all genres are guilty of overusing this one.
12. Revelations- Thou Shalt Not Re-use Iron Maiden classic song titles. And why can't we get a song about some of the other Biblical books? Someone should write a song about Amos.
13. Thousand Points of Light- Thou Shalt Not Use George Bush slogans as song titles.
14. End of the World- Enough about the end of the world! I want a Big Bang song!
15. The Curse- Just tired.
16. Jerusalem- What, Tel Aviv gets no love?
17. Sacrifice- Yawn.
18. Wasted Time- yes, I'd say so.
19. Fairytale- It's become a power metal staple.
20. Freedom- I don't want to hear a song about freedom again unless it's a song about Captain America.

Anyone else have any?

Blood.

OF course, varioationf of that: Blood and Fire, Blood and Iron, Blood Brothers, Blood and Thunder, Blood from a Stone, Blood Music, Blood Oath, etc, etc. etc.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, different variations on words would create an infinitely long thread. And we can combine them! Blood of the Dragon, Wings of the Storm, Signs and Revelations, Evil Dragon Curse.

Can I expand on this and ask bands (especially power metal bands) to stop rhyming fire and desire? That's an over-used cliche, too.

On an unrelated note, I started giggling upon noticing I am quoted in Corsair's forum sig. :lol:

If aliens ever come and find the ruins of our civilization, and the first thing they dig up is CD Inzane's warehouse, they'll think that us Earthlings liked to fly around a lot, either on dragons, or eagles, especially into the eyes of storms, which was good, because we needed the rain to put out those planetwide fires that metal bands kept setting. Presumably, these fiery catastrophes were set off by a combination of the power of metal and desire.

Some songs I seriously just think the lyrics were written to sound good with the music. Take Mysteria for example, by Edguy:

The world around is killing me
No thunder win and rain
Eel are crawling everywhere
Compounding with the game

Grind the army, the living dead, without destination
The faceless crowd is out to kill all kinds of variations

You're trying to trample down my dreams
A shot in the dark

Mysteria - the spirit arising
Eldritch cries form the hill
Mysteria - fires are blazing
Their wicked feast is shattering the still oh

Seven days and nights a week
Spinning like a wheel
You try to buckle, bend and break
And polish stainless steel

Raging fury in the sky burning with desire
Self-determination rising from the fire

Does this mean anything, or is it just general heavy metal imagery? Of course, I've been known to have song meanings fly right over my head, so maybe something profound is being said here that I'm missing.

BTW, there is nothing wrong with rhyming fire and desire when you scream "FIRE!" the way Tobias does at this point in the song.

There are at least 4 or 5 bands on my ipod that have a song called shadowland. Also, point of no return has been done to death.

There are at least 4 or 5 bands on my ipod that have a song called shadowland. Also, point of no return has been done to death.

Unless it is Point of Know Return as Kansas did!!! It is so original that a copycat song title is not needed!

Surprised no-one has mentioned Save Me. When you need a painfully generic title for your painfully generic power ballad, just call it Save Me.

Yeah, and even if they aren't frequently used, once a song title becomes a classic, it should not be re-used. No band must ever write a "Die With Your Boots On". Covering it is fine(Love Sonata's version), but writing a new song called Die With Your Boots On would be sacrilege.

BTW, I was just noticing how many on my list have been used by Edguy. Looks like Tobias has gotten more creative with the song titles in the last couple of albums, but for awhile there Edguy used about every common title imaginable: Babylon, Another Time, Sacrifice, Wasted Time, Dragonfly...

I would mention Save Me too, but hasn't Edguy suffered enough in this thread?:)

Oh yeah, they did Save Us Now too. Although at least that song was about killer bunnies, a subject that doesn't come up much in metal, even power metal. So it can be forgiven.

Don't know if it 'needs to be retired', but a popular one:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j-qG6o5N7oQ&ob=av2e[/ame]

There's also a Loudness "Coming Home"...

Last edited by a moderator:
I would go with anything containing references to metal or metals. Steel, iron, etc. And most songs that do genre worship. I think only Dream Evil and Sabaton have done those kinds of songs and had anything decent come out of it, and that's only because neither band takes itself too seriously.