Songs for Woods of Ypres to Cover (Guesses and Suggestions):

Some suggestions:

True Belief-Paradise Lost
Rainbow Demon-Uriah Heep
Cold Wind To Valhalla-Jethro Tull
Infinite Dreams-Iron Maiden
Take Me Up-WASP
Her Alone-Amorphis

Something (doesn´t matter what) by Dream Theater.

Great topic!

Here are a few ideas:

Easy Livin' - Uriah Heep
Empire Falls - Primordial
Heathen Tribes - Primordial
Rock and Roll - Led Zeppelin
Kashmir - Led Zeppelin
Heaven and Hell - Black Sabbath
Locomotive Breath - Jethro Tull
You've Got Another Thing Comin' - Judas Priest
Working Man - Rush
Bastille Day - Rush
Tom Sawyer - Rush
Limelight - Rush
The Trooper - Iron Maiden
2 Minutes to Midnight - Iron Maiden
Number of the Beast - Iron Maiden
Wish You Were Here - Pink Floyd
Another Brick in the Wall - Pink Floyd

It's always a blast when a metal band breaks into one of the classic riff songs. Every time I've seen it happen, the audience has gone nuts. Look at how successful the Iced Earth disc Tribute to the Gods was.

I think any cover that's unexpected, perhaps even incongruous, for a melodic doom-metal band to cover would be a blast to see and hear.

Bill

I think you guys should record your version of Deadhouse by Katatonia....

I dont know what songs to cover, but maybe a black/doom collaboration in bands would be cool. as long as its not some lame shit like the rappers do.

Cover some pop song. Metal covers are boring imho.

Some bands who've done it:
Graveworm - I need a hero
Children Of Bodom - Final Countdown
In Flames - Everything Counts
Night In Gales - Black Velvet
Dimension Zero - Stayin Alive

Cover some pop song. Metal covers are boring imho.

Some bands who've done it:
In Flames - Everything Counts
Night In Gales - Black Velvet
Dimension Zero - Stayin Alive

That's a cool idea!

The only risk -- if there is one -- is that if the song is too Pop (like an Abba song or a Britney Spears song or a Harry Chapin song or whatever) it could come off silly. "Black Velvet" and "Final Countdown" aren't really Pop songs. "Stayin' Alive" and "I Need a Hero" most definitely are.

But that's a great idea. Combine some not-metal song with Melodic Doom-Metal power and -- presto! -- you have something unique. Yeah. Could be fun to see/hear.

So, along those lines, how about a Country song? Or a Country-Rock song like something from early Eagles? Can you see WoY performing "Already Gone"? or "Take It Easy" or "Hotel California" by the Eagles? or "I Walk the Line" or "Ring of Fire" by Johnny Cash? How about "I'm Eighteen" by Alice Cooper? I'd love to see what WoY would do with a totally different song, from a totally different genre.

God, please no campy pop songs like those lame bands did, it's too gimmicky. I think you'd be suited to do a Devin Townsend cover, maybe Deep Peace, or Life, though Deep Peace's solo would be pretty different for Woods.

At The Gates - Blinded By Fear
Emperor - I Am The Black Wizards
Agalloch - Dead Winter Days

Something from Type O Negative would be cool as well, and I second the Deadhouse cover, that live version is awesome.

I love the Graveworm cover but Children of Bodom has NEVER covered Final Countdown.

Back on topic:

I agree with recording your version of Deadhouse by Katatonia or you could do "Sweet Nurse" also by Katatonia.

I'd like to see a WOY metal style reworking of a VNV Nation ballad like "Holding On", or "Illusion". The lyrical themes are fairly appropriate, anyway.
Or, perhaps, My Girlfriend's Girlfriend by Type O Negative.

I'm guessing you guys will probably want to cover Katatonia, Amorphis, and maybe stuff from the first Ulver album or something? Maybe some Borknagar? As for what you could cover, hmm... maybe some Rush? Nice and Canadian, and I'd love to hear David's best Geddy Lee :p Nah just kidding. I don't actually have that many ideas, probably more doomy bands.

"Black Rose Immortal" - Opeth
"The Luxury of a Grave" - Sentenced
"Down in a Hole" - Alice in Chains
"Nobody's Fool" - Cinderella
"Rainbow in the Dark" - Dio
"Push" - Moist

Negatron by Voivod
I Tried To Believe by Pat Travers
10, 000 Lovers In One by TNT
Only by Anthrax
Comin' Home by Lynyrd Skynyrd