Songs To Watch issue 26

Demonspell

cheating the polygraph
Apr 29, 2001
dead between the walls
www.ultimatemetal.com
For some reason, it's telling me I'm unauthorized when I try to post on the forum dedicated to my columnds, so I might as well leave it here for now.

DEMONSPELL’S SONGS TO WATCH
EARLY HOLIDAY EDITION
Written December 6, 2001
Greetings, devoted readers! I have my finals to soon prepare for, and I expect this to be the last regular issue before Christmas. More information on my plans is included below. This has been an incredible year for metal, hasn’t it? And now, the songs…

After Forever – Intrinsic, Forlorn Hope: After last year’s enthusiastically received debut Prison Of Desire, the Dutch doom act returns with Decipher, which many have mentioned as being equal or better. The former song has some beautiful sections, and the latter is as good as this genre gets. And Floor Jansen is undoubtedly one of the best female vocalists I’ve ever heard.

Angra – Millennium Sun, Unholy Wars: They seem to have overcome speculation that Andre’s departure would kill the band, as Rebirth has received generally positive reviews. Edu Falaschi is a competent replacement, and the latter song definitely picks up where Holy Land left off, and has some great riffs and keyboards. Former song is a slower track.

Beseech – Manmade Dreams, Firewalk: One of several bands I got interested in after having a forum added on this site. These songs remind me of the current Sentenced at their best, with strong riffs and memorable choruses. Latter song has a good counterpoint female vocal in the chorus. Both songs available at www.mp3.com

Conception – Gethsemane, Tell Me When I’m Gone: Norwegian progressive act who disbanded after leaving behind four very different albums, these being from their last effort Flow. Both of these songs have thoughtful instrumentation and warm melodies, their songwriting approaching Queensryche at their peak. Guitarist Tore Ostby now plays in Ark, vocalist Roy Khan now in Kamelot.

Condition Red – Lighthouse, Calls Out My Name: Progressive metal collective led by guitarist Lars Eric Mattsson and featuring contributions from Derek Sherinian. Very technical and adventurous, the latter featuring some deft time changes and both male and female vocals, the former being a long instrumental. More information at www.lionmusic.com

The December People – Up On A Housetop: A little bit of holiday eccentricity from Magna Carta, as this is a seasonal release put together by several artists on the label. Very amusing listen to be sure, but still progressive. Available at www.metalexpress.no

Dream Theater – The Glass Prison, Blind Faith: You’ve all been waiting for this. Songs from the new album are circulating on the net…beware of fakes, running times for these are 14:07 and 5:22 respectively. The former song lives up to advance press as Dream Theater’s heaviest to date, with some very thrashy riffs, especially in the first 3-4 minutes. Insane drumming and jaw dropping musicianship abound, and don’t worry about the “scratching”…it lasts all of ten seconds. Latter song is a typically strong DT composition more melodic than the previous, again blowing things open with a frantic instrumental section.

Forgotten Suns – Creation Point, Routine: Portuguese progressive rock act discovered through www.hardprogradio.com , whose album Fiction Edge is a concept about the origins of the universe. The latter song is a strong 12-minute epic with some very absorbing instrumentation, and the former has a haunting chorus.

Roland Grapow – Bread Of Charity, I Remember: He wrote some great songs for Helloween during his decade with the band, but my primary reason for including him is his as of yet untitled project with Russell Allen, Michael Kiske, and Uli Kusch. The former song from his solo album Kaleidoscope shows his gifts as a guitarist, and has some progressive touches.

Haggard – Heavenly Damnation, Origin Of A Crystal Soul: Symphonic metal act who has gained a cult following over two albums. The former song, available at www.666metal.com, is short but has a dense arrangement, while the latter from their debut And Thou Shalt Trust The Seer has some great orchestral touches and female vocals.

Iced Earth – Number Of The Beast, Screaming For Vengeance: For most fans, the cover disc is the main attraction on the currently import-only Dark Genesis. Prepare to be disappointed, as these are rote run-throughs that sound more like the work of a cover band in a Jersey bar than someone as skilled as Iced Earth. And these are perhaps the most appropriate in terms of song selection! A perfect argument against the all-covers album if ever there was one.

Inner Resonance – The Drum, Open Eyes: Progressive rock act who reminds one of a less metallic Shadow Gallery, at least according to the one review I’ve read. If they haven’t played live yet, then I’ll know for sure. J Former song is a well-composed and dramatic sounding ten minute epic, while the latter is a delicate ballad.

Lilitu – I Cannot Be Saved, Unhallowed Be Thy Shame: Reader suggested doom metal act, reminding me of early Anathema at times. Former song goes through many different sections of varying intensity over its eleven minutes, while the latter song, available at their official site, has a powerful lead riff and rises above its cheap title pun.

Mastermind – 2000 Years, Sudden Impulse: A correction from a previous entry: This band only has one guitarist, it only sounds like three! Latter song is an instrumental from the highly acclaimed Excelsior, while the former song from Angels Of The Apocalypse has a strong chorus with female vocals and some well-placed Middle Eastern influences.

Mercury Rising – Renaissance, The Occurrence Of Tomorrow: This progressive metal act broke up after releasing two highly acclaimed albums, the first of which I haven’t heard. The former song from Building Rome has great acoustic work, while the latter shows why this band was once mentioned as a leading name in the genre (i.e. the 95th band to receive billing as “the next Queensryche.”

Mindcage – No More, Outrage: You may not know the band, but their domain name is home to Perpetual Motion and Edge Of Time, two great prog sites. Both of these songs are reminiscent of Queensryche at times, the former having a strong chorus, while the latter is described by the band as a theatrical composition. Both songs available at www.mp3.com

My Dying Bride – The Dreadful Hours, Black Heart Romance: This may surprise some longtime fans of the band, but I think The Dreadful Hours may be their best release to date, eclipsing even Turn Loose The Swans. The title track is a great composition with a strong intro and a powerful progression, while the shorter former track has yet another hypnotic main riff…

Nightingale – The Journey’s End, Remorse And Regret: In the Progpower special, I referred to this band as Dan Swano’s greatest triumph, and after receiving their latest album I, my opinion is confirmed. The former song is a highly emotional and expansive song, while the latter has one of the best keyboard signatures I’ve heard in a long time.

Reading Zero – Discarding The Frame, To Hold An Angel: I’ve received several enthusiastic responses concerning this New England prog metal act, and after hearing the latter song from a demo called Next Stage, their future looks great indeed. Latter song from Satellite Sessions makes the best of their QR and Fates Warning influences, and has a highly memorable chorus.

Scanner – Tollshocked, Frozen Under The Sun: Defunct German power metal act who released several albums with various lineups, these are from their best known (or least obscure) album Ball Of The Damned. Former song, available at www.666metal.com, has a memorable call and response chorus, while the latter has some great guitar work.

Stonehenge – Rambling, Newcomer: Progressive metal act whose debut Angelo Salutante has received strong press among followers of the genre. Despite the latter song’s title, it is a very cohesive composition with great guitar-piano interplay. Latter song is a longer song that suggests a missing link between Dream Theater and Pain Of Salvation…

Superior – Stop, The Truth Ain’t Kind: German progressive metal act whose songs rely more on emotional response than technicality, which is perhaps why they reject the prog label. The former song is a slower song with some exotic sounding instrumentation, while the latter hails from their heavier debut Behind and has a strong chorus.

Therion – Nifelheim, Muspelheim: Secret Of The Runes has received some mixed reviews, some hailing it as a return to form while others have said it failed to live up to advance expectations. Former song shows off their trademark symphonic arrangements very nicely, while the latter is easily the album’s best song, ending with a great solo.

Veni Domine – Ecclesiastes, If I Fall Asleep: Reader suggested progressive metal act with a strong Christian theme and a sound that suggests Queensryche with doom metal influences. Former song from the album Material Sanctuary is a nine-minute epic with some haunting sections, reminding me of Promised Land, and the latter is similarly haunting.

Thus ends this chapter. Next week, I’ll offer up the obligatory year-end survey, so give some thought to your top ten lists and what 2001’s best moments have been. After that, I’ll include a list of every album from this year that I have covered songs from in this column, a labor of love if ever there was one.