Sons of Seasons - Gods of Vermin

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Sons of Seasons – Gods of Vermin
Napalm Records - 2009
By Adam McAuley

GodsOfVermin_RegularCover.jpg

A charismatic sound is displayed here that has a lot of little nuances to pay attention to. One can sense some strong classical influences present through keyboards and other instruments. Also there are multiple vocalists to add an extra dimension to the musical tapestries. Altogether a sound is created that has a slightly magical feeling present overall and this is perfect for the type of music Sons of Seasons trying to play.

The album’s sound is indeed symphonic which is how they are classified and bombastic enough in its approach. There’s certainly enough going on to capture your thoughts with the melange of musical elements the outfit throws at you. It all comes together quite smoothly as the sound is air tight on the whole. The intensity can be shown to turn up a couple of notches on occasion as seen from “Belial’s Tower”, which starts out middle-eastern sounding and proceeds into becoming a riff fest. The amount of little changes they throw into the mix makes the work constantly enthralling, however.

Some of the normal portions of the disc emit a power metal flavour, but I believe this to have greater dimensions than a power metal disc often has and delves into progressive type areas at times. The sound is definitely unique enough and shows them willing to step into their own territories of musical pleasure. Although I found the album quite entertaining, there are some moments where it’s a little dry sounding. This isn’t the case very frequently fortunately as things move along fairly consistently. Gods of Vermin is a great work that enthrals on many levels throughout.

Official Sons of Seasons Website
Official Sons of Seasons My Space
Official Napalm Records Website