Sons of Seasons

Jack Nippleson
May 13, 2007
Thought I'd make this thread in hopes of turning some people on to this awesome group of gifted musicians. Sons of Seasons is the side project of Kamelot keyboardist Oliver Palotai, and they just released their second album, Magnisphyricon (what a title!). I just bought it and listened to it - wow! I actually wanted to stand up and applaud after the final track, it was that impressive.

If you've never heard them, it's a very metal group with beautifully dark symphonic touches. It's rare that I'm blown away by a vocalist these days, but the singer is Henning Basse from the power metal band Metalium. I've never heard Metalium but I'm going to have to now after hearing Basse's work on this album - one of the best vocal performances I've heard in ages! He has a very raspy and theatrical approach and can sing beautiful, soft passages all the way to brutal, rage-filled screams. I also love the lyrics on these albums, especially the new one, because they're so poetic.

Check out this song from Magnisphyricon called Bubonic Waltz. Hooked me on the new album after one listen.

Last edited by a moderator:
Absolutely hooked on this album, it takes multiple listens to digest but man these are some killer songs. Yesteryears, the final song, is a song I would wholeheartedly approve being played at my funeral. Stunning piano playing, beautiful lyrics, and a great vocal performance! :D

And yeah, there are definitely some moments that strike me as Kamelot-ish with this band. In fact, at moments the singer sounds just like Khan.

Finally a music video for Bubonic Waltz!

Last edited by a moderator: