Sony Oxford plugins and metal

blackcom

Oct 5, 2003
I'm thinking on getting a Powercore Firewre and the Sony Oxford plugin pack...and I was wondering how those plugins work for a typical metal-production...I was thinking specially about the EQ and the dynamic...anyone with experience here?

Yep That GML setting ROCKS,quite a difference from standard Sony EQ.
My bud lets me borrow his iLok (with Oxford/GML option on it!)when he's not recording at his spot! :headbang:

Kenny Lee said:
Yep That GML setting ROCKS,quite a difference from standard Sony EQ.
My bud lets me borrow his iLok (with Oxford/GML option on it!)when he's not recording at his spot! :headbang:

I've been searhing www.sonyplugins.com for the GML option, but coulden't find any info on it...what exactly is it?

...hmmm, looks like that new Sonalksis EQ VST plugin is getting some rave reviews...anyone compared it to the Oxford (non-gml)?

That GML option is a George Massenburg setting. Kinda like having a GML8900 in your plug-in list!!!
The Sonalksis plug-ins just ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period! We ran them A/B ing against Sony Oxford with GML and some other name brand plug-ins and to five of us... the Sonalksis RULED!! I don't have the SOny(non-GML) plug-in, but I imagine the Sonalksis will hold it's own to that one too! Try the 30 day FULL demo of them! The SV-517 is great, and once you figure out how to use the DQ1 and CQ1...WHOA!!! Audible bliss!!!!!

Kenny Lee said:
That GML option is a George Massenburg setting. Kinda like having a GML8900 in your plug-in list!!!
The Sonalksis plug-ins just ROCK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Period! We ran them A/B ing against Sony Oxford with GML and some other name brand plug-ins and to five of us... the Sonalksis RULED!! I don't have the SOny(non-GML) plug-in, but I imagine the Sonalksis will hold it's own to that one too! Try the 30 day FULL demo of them! The SV-517 is great, and once you figure out how to use the DQ1 and CQ1...WHOA!!! Audible bliss!!!!!

When running four Oxford DEMO EQ's, my first Powercore Firewire CPU will go at 44%, and my native CPU will go at 135% AND AUDIO WILL START STUTTERING..

What the hell is the deal here?

Sounded very much like the Sonalksis....only a little more "plain" perhaps....

Yeah, I agree. There is still room for the analogue world. Digital is catching up very very fast however and much of the high end digital hardware is better than their analogue counterparts, the problem is that it's still very expensive.

I'm not a big fan of the Sonalksis. It's pretty good stuff, but I think people is more about the hype than the actual sound, pretty much just like the hype with the UAD plugins when they first came out.

"OH, it sounds just like the originals!!"
"Woow, it sounds just like an old Neve console EQ!"

Of course everything is subjective, but I think they don't really sound like that and I work with high-end analogue on a daliy basis. We did a compressor shoot-out a while ago between a plethora of analogue hardware and digital plugins. Of course you can never state a fact since it's all very subjective, but what we came up with was pretty much that the UAD, Waves, Ultrafunk, Sonalksis, Bombfactory, Steinberg.... compressors really sound preferable to most analogue compressors that cost less than about 700$. This I state very loosley, since we auditioned a couple of very cheap 200$ compressors that had such distinct characters that rocked for certain stuff which even the 2000$+ gear didn't deliver, but basically 8 times out of 10 we found the statement to be true. If going for more of a characteristic compression sound, your best bet is usually the analogue way, but if you want clean control of the dynamics, digital is usually your best bet.

The same could be stated about EQ. About a year ago when trying to find a cross between the two worlds, we found the Waves Renassiance EQ to sound pretty similar to the EQ found in the Mackie analogue 8-bus consoles, which in itself doesn't sound very good, but ok. The UAD Pultec is one of the best digital-plugin EQs out there but it's still a pretty big step until it can be compared to the original side by side.

Yeah I see your point guys and agree that for a great analog sound... high end analog gear simply put ROCKS! If I could afford a $3500 massive passive or a GML 8200 or 9500 I'd have one :D Or if I could afford going rates around here $85 an hour to master tracks at high end gear studios.
But I can't, and I don't want to pirate plug-ins either, so I get what I can afford and do my best with it. For me and my buds Sonalksis sounds great and works for us, Sony Oxford is great too. And although I haven't tried them, one of my buds swears by URS EQ's.
The bands I've done came to me for one reason, they can't afford the rates of big studios around here, and many of the studios haven't got a clue how to record anything but rap bands. Not knockin' rap, but Metal and rap are two totally different animals!
With digital catching up it's becoming a more do-it-yourself World!
I guess plug-in vs. Hardware really comes down to what you can afford :D
if you can't afford a GML8200 or 9500...get a Massive passive...if you can't afford it...get a Summit Audio...can't afford it...get the Sony Oxford with GML option, UAD-1 or URS bundle...can't afford them...get Sonalksis...can't afford that....get Waves...too broke for that try some free vsts' online or use your DAW's plug-ins. Use what you can afford and make it sound BAD ASS!!!!! :headbang:

Yes.. very true! You don't need the massive gear to do great stuff. It's all about making the music justice, and you know.. no one is going to care wether you used the UAD Pultec or Massive Passive on a vocal if it sounds great in the end. Great sound is never about external processing anyway.

1. The right performer (50%)
2. The right mic/preamp (mic/amp/guitar) (20%)
3. The right converters (20%)
4. The right "processing" (10%)