Souldivider "The Big Relax"

greaseball

New Metal Member
I was about to do my own review, but since Custom Heavy already has reviewed this excellent piece of work I simply post that one instead, since I agree with Custom Heavy 100%. Since this review was written the band has signed a multi-album deal with 12th Planet Music, a label based in Toronto,Canada. The big relax has been-rereleased and is now out across the world. Check out 12th Planet Music at www.12thplanetmusic.com for more or simply run down to your local record dealer and get on because this is really great stuff. Souldivider will release a fullength album in the spring of 2002. And here it is the review written by Scott Myers earlier this year.

SOULDIVIDER "The Big Relax"
If it was 1976 Sweden's Souldivider would be selling out arenas worldwide. With their 70's rock vibe and "hit" writing style they would be a best selling band and all over AM rock radio if they had just been around a few decades sooner. They readily admit their main influences are Black Sabbath, Deep Purple, and Thin Lizzy, but on their new 5 song demo I hear some more 70's rock influences like Head East, Foghat, Skynyrd, and even Black Oak Arkansas (look 'em up, good band)

Formed in 1999, this band has come quite a ways since I heard their first demo, which had a more Alice In Chains feel to it, to the "70's rock in the Y2K" band they are 2 short years later. I'm really hesitating to use the Stoner Rock tag to describe them because even with the obvious stoner-inspired song titles like "Inhale Your Destination" and being in the Karlstad, Sweden stoner scene along with Lowrider, Sparzanza, Ozium, Remuda Dust, Space Probe Taurus- and others I forgot- Souldivider aren't quite as fuzzy as most stoner bands and have way more in common with the above mentioned 70's bands than any current stoner band I can think of.

You could slip any of the songs off this disc onto your local 70's AOR station and no one would be the wiser.... How many times have I said 70's so far.. uhhh that makes 6... I think you got the picture so far. The 5 songs that appear on The Big Relax cover a variety of 70's rock sounds (that makes 7 times) from the heavy rocking opening track "A Need To Escape" to the more mellow jam feel of "Strange Feeling 4 A.M." to the obvious hit of this disc the above mentioned "Inhale Your Destination".

Martin Henricsson and Andreas Hahne on guitar play well off each other, especially when the guys are trading leads and when they both lock in on a rhythm it's ultra-tight but you can still make out the 2 distinct guitar tones which a lot of bands pass over and do a "straight guitar double". Bassist Mattias Nilsson and drummer Claes Lysen have that solid rock rhythm thing down to a science and never let the song fall out from under itself. It's like the 2 have played together for many more years than they actually have. The highlight of the album is Jonas Gustafson's clean vocal delivery- it's really smooth and never over the top- the man has a hell of a voice. The disc is a little pricey for us foreigners ($9 US) but I doubt it will be long before a label picks these guys up and releases this. 70's rock, 70's rock, 70's rock... that makes an even 10...

Total Running Time: 18:11
Track List: 1) Second Ride, 2) Anymore, 3) Strange Feeling 4 A.M.,
4) Inhale Your Destination, 5) A need to escape

For more info on Souldivider go to: www.souldivider.musicpage.com