Sound Proofing Practice Room in Basement - Suggestions?

Downwards

Feb 22, 2010
Michigan
www.myspace.com
Hey Everybody,

I bought a house, it's a colonial(2 story) with a family room on the back of the house. It has a full basement, below grade, with a room built directly under the family room. This was a nice bonus as I thought about building a room so that I could practice at my house, so having the room already there made it all the better. But here's what I'm dealing with, what I'm trying to achieve.

The house is built in 2001. The room has one conventional framed wall with a door separating it from the rest of the basement. Drywalled, and painted on the side facing the rest of the basement, with 2 wall outlets. No drywall on the other side of the wall, inside the room. The other 3 walls are concrete. The ceiling was drywalled, fastened to the joists. There's a basic single light fixture with a pull cord in the middle of the room.

My original plan was to install 5 recessed lights in the ceiling(one where the current light is, and 4 others), and then frame walls on the 3 concrete walls, with outlets, and put rock wool in between the studs, and drywall the one wall that was already there, and replace the door to the room with a sold core door, and a sweep on the bottom of it, and put down carpet. But then I starting thinking maybe I'd use resilient channels before drywalling that one existing wall inside the room (I don't think the walls against the concrete would matter, since it's, well concrete), to decouple and help isolate the sound coming out of the room to the rest of the basement. As for the ceiling, I was thinking about using Owens Corning 703 on the ceiling of the practice room, to absorb sound going up, but that wouldn't look the greatest and with the recessed lights.. Then I started thinking maybe I should use resilient channels on the already drywall ceiling, and drywall on the resilient channels, but being that there would be more surface area on the ceiling to make contact to resilient channels, I don't know how effective that would be.

So I'm kinda unsure how to approach this situation with there already being a drywalled ceiling in the room. I don't really want to tear out whats been done. I don't know if I should do resilient channels on the ceiling, add another layer of drywall, isolation clips. I had already bought the recessed light cans(just some remodel type), but I'm also wondering if I should change the recessed lighting plan, etc. being that there would be an opening for sound to travel upstairs, and I don't think I'd be able to build boxes, without tearing out parts of the existing drywall ceiling to install them..

I tested to see how much the sound of my stack(5150 full stack, level at just over 3) transmits, and it comes through the floor pretty well, a lot of low end resonance. You can kinda feel it, and I don't have crazy scoop tone or anything.

My goal isn't to make it completely sound proof, cuz thats not really possibly, but I'm trying to knock down the amount of sound traveling out of the room, particularly to the family room above it, a decent amount, as to not be so obvious to anyone in the room. And of course get rid of some of the harshness and reflections in the room by putting walls over the concrete, and laying carpet, as economically as possible.

I know this topic has been posted numerous times, and I've read some of them, but it's the whole ceiling being there already that I'm kinda unsure what to do with. So if anybody has any suggestions, I would greatly appreciate it.

And sorry this is so long, but just trying to lay all of the info out. Thanx.

Complete sound proofing can only happen through good infrastructure. You need THICK walls and proper materials, there's even special paints for it.

Any foam or reflectors are there to TREAT and NOT proof the room.

I would definitely look into covering the walls in some kind of thick and absorbent material. Foam is too light so you'd need some kind of fiber or Rockwool.