Sounds of Purgatory store back up and New & Re-stocks

J. Golden

Heaven and Hell Records
Oct 12, 2009
here
www.heavenandhellrecords.com
Well if anyone noticed the e-store was down through December. Not only was it moved to a new host but cleaned up a bit. There are re-stocks, new stock, and inventory should be update on everything. There is still a lot more to go up, but need to get on to other things so this will have to do for now. Have not announced it anywhere yet so you all get to look into it first.
It is nothing fancy like the old store but it works and serves it's purpose.

www.soundsofpurgatory.com

My lack of response meant nothing of the sort. But seeing that you are good at deducing what do you think it is priced only $14.99 (rhetorical) But whatever they may be or where ever they come from or whatever, if someone would rather go on Amazon or eBay and pay $20, $50, $100s of dollars on an out of print (probably not coming back in print) CD from a second hand dealer just so they can brag in a forum that "this is an original and I paid X dollars" well more power to 'em.
Seriously $14.99, seems pretty damn cheap to me certainly for stuff you're not getting any other way.

My lack of response meant nothing of the sort. But seeing that you are good at deducing what do you think it is priced only $14.99 (rhetorical) But whatever they may be or where ever they come from or whatever, if someone would rather go on Amazon or eBay and pay $20, $50, $100s of dollars on an out of print (probably not coming back in print) CD from a second hand dealer just so they can brag in a forum that "this is an original and I paid X dollars" well more power to 'em.
Seriously $14.99, seems pretty damn cheap to me certainly for stuff you're not getting any other way.

So they're bootlegs then is what you're saying, just cheaper bootlegs than other places. You sound like you're doing music fans some great service and should be heralded for it. Like $14.99 is such an amazing deal for copies. Hell, you can go to ebay to get bootlegs of extremely rare albums for $8.
You think the only reason people want original pressings is for bragging? maybe they want them because they are legit pressings, and out of principle, don't want to give some person their money who is profiting off of someone elses work.
Now, if you're giving the artists a small cut of your profit, then my apologies and I applaud you.

Sounds of Purgatory do a great job. Who cares if a few things are bootlegs...you are not going to find that stuff anywhere else. I spend a lot of time on different distros and I have never had anything wrong with Jeremy's stuff EVER!. He even emailed me once to make sure that a couple of the disc that he sent had some specs on it and wanted to make sure there was no issues. Now that is service. YOu dont get that from Amazon.

Sounds of Purgatory do a great job. Who cares if a few things are bootlegs...you are not going to find that stuff anywhere else. I spend a lot of time on different distros and I have never had anything wrong with Jeremy's stuff EVER!. He even emailed me once to make sure that a couple of the disc that he sent had some specs on it and wanted to make sure there was no issues. Now that is service. YOu dont get that from Amazon.

The guy sounds like a nice person with good service, I just think very negatively about bootleggers...
I can't understand why someone would pay $15 for a copied cd when you could download it for free and print off your own artwork...for free, which is essentially what bootleggers are doing. unless a silver cd copy with print on it is very important to someone, even if it is a fake.

So they're bootlegs then is what you're saying, just cheaper bootlegs than other places. You sound like you're doing music fans some great service and should be heralded for it. Like $14.99 is such an amazing deal for copies. Hell, you can go to ebay to get bootlegs of extremely rare albums for $8.
You think the only reason people want original pressings is for bragging? maybe they want them because they are legit pressings, and out of principle, don't want to give some person their money who is profiting off of someone elses work.
Now, if you're giving the artists a small cut of your profit, then my apologies and I applaud you.

No offense but you are kidding yourself if bands are getting a cut off any second-hand selling of their album. it's doubtful they got a cut from the original release. For instance Leather Leone wanted some of her solo album, but she had to buy them from me. I paid David Chastain a healthy license/publishing fee since he owns the master, so I couldn't give her any copies for free. She had to pay money OUT OF HER POCKET to get the record. Now, I didn't charge her much above my cost per unit, but you get my point.

Bootleg or not, isn't ever the issue. it's about getting the music and enjoying it. I would safely say that any band who hasn't taken it upon themselves to actively reissue their own material doesn't care much about whether their music has been bootlegged.

The guy sounds like a nice person with good service, I just think very negatively about bootleggers...
I can't understand why someone would pay $15 for a copied cd when you could download it for free and print off your own artwork...for free, which is essentially what bootleggers are doing. unless a silver cd copy with print on it is very important to someone, even if it is a fake.

I buy bootlegs all the time. if there is no official reissue i will buy one without hesitation for a reasonable price. i have a GREAT KING RAT bootleg and i am THANKFUL for it.

There is nothing more i hate than downloading and printing off artwork or mp3s of a record. at least with a boot i (usually) am getting a very good copy of the original when an original doesn't exist or is stupidly expensive to own. i used to care, but i don't anymore.

Also, there is a difference between a "bootlegger" and someone who sells a bootleg. The act of actually pressing the bootleg is the crime, because after that you never know how someone comes into possession of said bootleg and in turn decides to sell it.

Also, as buyers people need to use common sense. if you know something hasn't been in print for 20 years and all of a sudden there are copies of it floating around everywhere for cheap then naturally bootlegs are rampant.

No offense but you are kidding yourself if bands are getting a cut off any second-hand selling of their album. it's doubtful they got a cut from the original release. For instance Leather Leone wanted some of her solo album, but she had to buy them from me. I paid David Chastain a healthy license/publishing fee since he owns the master, so I couldn't give her any copies for free. She had to pay money OUT OF HER POCKET to get the record. Now, I didn't charge her much above my cost per unit, but you get my point.

Bootleg or not, isn't ever the issue. it's about getting the music and enjoying it. I would safely say that any band who hasn't taken it upon themselves to actively reissue their own material doesn't care much about whether their music has been bootlegged.

Obviously I don't think the band is getting anything from the purchase of a used cd but they probably got something with the original purchase, and I realize it was probably a small amount.
My point is, why should some Joe Shmo who has absolutely nothing to do with a band make money off what that band worked to create?
I'd bet any band member who doesn't have the means to reissue their material would prefer fans download their stuff for free than pay some guy they don't know for a bootlegged version.

Obviously I don't think the band is getting anything from the purchase of a used cd but they probably got something with the original purchase, and I realize it was probably a small amount.
My point is, why should some Joe Shmo who has absolutely nothing to do with a band make money off what that band worked to create?
I'd bet any band member who doesn't have the means to reissue their material would prefer fans download their stuff for free than pay some guy they don't know for a bootlegged version.

I understand what you are saying, but with your logic then the entire music industry would be at fault.

A person selling a bootleg on Amazon or Ebay is no different than Best Buy, FYE etc. They are all making money off of something THEY did not create.

People to be upset with about bootlegging are the faceless Russians and Greeks putting these boots into circulation, but again whose fault is it really when there is no competition to put these bootleggers out of business?

The bands? the labels? all for not reissuing these out of print albums? It poses plenty of good questions to toss around for debate that is for sure, but to get mad at the Joe S. selling them is kind of misdirected and a bit late. They are the last piece of the retail puzzle. Plenty of people before them in line to get mad at. haha.

I understand what you are saying, but with your logic then the entire music industry would be at fault.

A person selling a bootleg on Amazon or Ebay is no different than Best Buy, FYE etc. They are all making money off of something THEY did not create.

It's not like that at all, as funds are going to the label/artist as per how our society and economy works, which the artist has signed on to be a part of.
And I really don't see the difference between a Russian bootlegger and any other bootlegger (or person selling bootlegs) unless one of them is trying to pass the cd off as an original and being deceiving. By your logic, I shouldn't think negatively about the drug dealer down the street, it's the guy that manufactured the drugs the drug dealer is selling that I should despise.
Anyway, I don't want to get into a big debate or start any shit really, I just expressed my feelings about this practice.
Just like how I won't buy a stolen tv out of some guys van, no matter what the price, I don't feel good about giving some random guy money for a copied cd. I look at it as theft and dirty. Maybe I'll feel different about it at some point in my life, who knows.

It's not like that at all, as funds are going to the label/artist as per how our society and economy works, which the artist has signed on to be a part of.
And I really don't see the difference between a Russian bootlegger and any other bootlegger (or person selling bootlegs) unless one of them is trying to pass the cd off as an original and being deceiving. By your logic, I shouldn't think negatively about the drug dealer down the street, it's the guy that manufactured the drugs the drug dealer is selling that I should despise.
Anyway, I don't want to get into a big debate or start any shit really, I just expressed my feelings about this practice.
Just like how I won't buy a stolen tv out of some guys van, no matter what the price, I don't feel good about giving some random guy money for a copied cd. I look at it as theft and dirty. Maybe I'll feel different about it at some point in my life, who knows.

Completely understandable. Good points all around.

I remember reading an interview with Joe Satriani years ago and the question of bootlegging was posed to him. Joe said something to the effect of "They don't bother me. The guys that buy the bootlegs will buy official releases before bootlegs. So if I don't release it officially, I can't complain."

That always stuck with me. No question, I prefer official releases and would buy them even if I had a bootleg of the same release. But if no official copies are available, well then......

That's all I've got.:lol: