Sourvein - Emerald Vulture

Dec 21, 2003
Sudbury, Canada
Sourvein - Emerald Vulture
The Dark Reign Recordings - 2005
By Adam McAuley

DDR%20covers%

Sludgy doom is what's on offer here and the band are reasonably enjoyable at playing it indeed. They go through slow cosmic dirges, that are fun to trip out with and lose oneself in.

For a comparison point one could look to other bands of the style like Soilent Green, Iron Monkey and the like, but these guys often find themselves in a bit of sludgier mood than those bands do and it works for the style of music they play. The repetitive doom-laden structures of the songs can also be compared to the likes of Electric Wizard although these guys are less *heavy* per say, though the riffs they indulge in are just as long, drawn out and thick as those doom masters. Vocalist T-Roy Medlin fits what you would expect of a sludge vocalist and is in much the same vein as the once great Johnny Morrow of Iron Monkey. It's really just the kind of music you need to chill to or perhaps smoke drugs to and the nice length of four songs means that the band don't overstay their welcome. However, there isn't anything particularly original on display here, so if you aren't a big enough fan of the style then this is without a doubt something you would want to pass up without even a second glance. Instrumentally, everything is similarly sufficient but far from spectacular.

Overall, a pleasant little disc to chill out to, but don't expect anything terribly original or worthy of the praise a band like Wizard might get. Nevertheless, it's worth a couple of listens, especially if you're in the proper laid back mood. Recommended to fans of the style and not anyone aside from that.

7/10

Official Devil Doll Records Website
Official Sourvein Website

A fair and honest review. I like their brand of sludge quite a bit, but what pisses me off here is the 12 plus minutes of stupid caterwauling feedback that ends the record. What is that for? Who's that supposed to impress? You have almost as much feedback as you do real music.

Give me a fuckin' break!:hotjump: