SPD/White Cluster

Demilich

Remember
Apr 24, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Many people seem to consider these songs to be "weak" compared to the likes of The Moor and Godhead's Lament. I find both Serenity Painted Death and White Cluster to be amazing songs, and along with Benighted, my favourites off of Still Life. Currently, I would rate Serenity Painted Death along with The Night and the Silent Water, Black Rose Immortal and A Fair Judgement to be my favourite Opeth songs.

Could someone (or someones!) please elaborate for me the arguments of people who call Serenity Painted Death and White Cluster weak songs?

If anything, I consider The Face of Melinda to be the weakest song on the album. Though the beginning is wonderful, I feel it drags on too long, and the distorted guitars at the end, I find to be unnecessary (just as I dislike the distortion in the later parts of To Bid You Farewell)

IAmEternal said:
Many people seem to consider these songs to be "weak" compared to the likes of The Moor and Godhead's Lament. I find both Serenity Painted Death and White Cluster to be amazing songs

I agree, 100%!
SPD & White Cluster have always been my two fav tunes from 'Still Life' (with "Cluster" being one of my fav Opeth songs), while "Moor" & "Godheads" hold up the rear (they're not bad songs, they're just not as good as anything else on "Still Life").

I personally feel that SPD is one of Opeth's weakest songs. I find the riffs dull and uninteresting, the vocals don't seem to fit too well, and the whole thing is overall one of my least favourite Opeth songs.

White Cluster on the other hand is a fucking amazing masterpiece. Spectacular riffage, and one of the coolest acoustic melodies ever. Also, the breakout bit at the end has the best solos...period.

NP: SPD (might as well give it another chance...;) )

Moonlapse, though I've listened to it just as much as the rest of the albums, hasn't 'clicked' for me yet. So far, the clickage has gone this way:
Moor: yes
GL: kinda
Benighted: yes!
Moonlapse: no
Melinda: kinda
SPD: YES!
Cluster: yes!

Theres something about White Cluster I hate but I dont know why. I just naturally hate it. The riffs are too muddy and some it if is too slow paced for me. My favourite songs on Still Life are
Moonlapse- :cool:
SPD- :cool:
The Moor- :)
Benighted- :Smug:
Face Of Melinda- :Smug:
Godheads L- :erk:
White Cluster- :ill:

IAmEternal said:
Many people seem to consider these songs to be "weak" compared to the likes of The Moor and Godhead's Lament. I find both Serenity Painted Death and White Cluster to be amazing songs, and along with Benighted, my favourites off of Still Life. Currently, I would rate Serenity Painted Death along with The Night and the Silent Water, Black Rose Immortal and A Fair Judgement to be my favourite Opeth songs.

Could someone (or someones!) please elaborate for me the arguments of people who call Serenity Painted Death and White Cluster weak songs?

If anything, I consider The Face of Melinda to be the weakest song on the album. Though the beginning is wonderful, I feel it drags on too long, and the distorted guitars at the end, I find to be unnecessary (just as I dislike the distortion in the later parts of To Bid You Farewell)

I love both FoM and TBYF, though I think they are better in the later parts of the songs.
But I feel that the intro and outro on A fair judgement just keeps on too long, I think Opeth could have done it without the distorsion in the end of this song. It feels like it's there just to make the song longer than 10 minutes. anyway it's my favourite on the deliverance-album.

And Serenity painted death just rules!!!

i LOVE white cluster! except i hate the name, it makes me think of the little clouds from mario nintendo games :(
but the song is one of my favourites from still life, along with the other 6. i love them all, in their own ways. but white clusters is cool, it makes me grooove :p

actually SPD is my fave opeth song...the middle-clean-vox-part is amazing, the chorus is just among the best opeth ever did "whte face haggard grin" and after it the same once again in death metal style. yepp.
and i love the break after about 2 minutes and the riff shortly after it....

the moor and moonlapse are both pretty boring, the rest of the album is outstanding!

I only got it pretty recently. Here is my 'clickage'

The Moor - FUCK YES! INCREDIBLE!
Godhead's Lament - Yes!!!
Benighted - HELL YES!
Moonlapse Vertigo - I like it, but it's my least favourite so far.
Face of Melinda - Really good song
Serenity Painted Death - Slayful!
White Cluster - YES!!!!!

White Cluster is just too good, especially the clean vocals sections. It also has my favorite Opeth lyrics ever and it paints a picture in your head perfectly. The whole album is amazing, although Face of Melinda was a bit disappointing after so many people around here listed it as the best "soft" Opeth song.