speaking of earplugs, what's the loudest and quietest band you've heard?

Fire breath

Feb 20, 2002
London
piris-metalopolis.blogspot.com
I can recall some insanely loud gigs. I remember a Crowbar gig at the Underworld many years ago. Man my ears were wrecked beyond belief. Now the Underworld here in London is a smallish 500 max club but it felt like they were using the backline for Wembley Stadium in there! Another one that comes to mind is Megadeth back in 95. Marty's solos especially were piercing through to my timpanic membrane like you wouldn't believe. The quietest gig that I recall was Maiden at the Brixton Academy a few years ago. It was so quiet that you could hear people's stupid chatter louder than the music if you were standing enough away from the stage. It's amazing how some small things like this stay in the brain a long time.

The loudest gig I've been to was when Galactic Cowboys were opening for King's X. I had to leave the room because it was just too damn loud.

the loudest one i remember was Rainbow in 1997 at the Edge in Palo Alto,CA. What a great show but my ears were ringing for days afterwards lol. Also a Malmsteen show a few years back in Sacramento was just too loud lol terrible mix too. I think the quietest show was Steppenwolf at the Tulare County Fair in 98 i think. Was outdoors and only 50 people or so.

The loudest shows I've been to were Kansas at a club in Bangor, Maine in 1994 and Malmsteen at the State Theater in St. Pete, Florida a few years ago. Both were painful....especially the Malmsteen show. I've never seen more people with their hands over their ears like at that show.

I saw In Flames at the Roxy in ATL back in 06. My ears were ringing for a week.

The loudest was definitely Motorhead in '84, I could barely hear for about 3 days afterward! Also remember Frank Marino playing at deafening volume, just crazy. Not sure about the quietest but some of the venues I've seen shows at are near neighborhoods and they make them play at a "reasonable" volume which to my damaged ears is pretty quiet! :) Seems like the last Steely Dan show I saw was pretty tame...

Loudest by a long shot was Ministry on their final show at the Chicago HOB. However and some may find this surprising, but Apocalyptica at HOB was pretty damn loud too, though with that one I was up front.

I remember a Quiet Riot gig where one side of the stage speakers cut out. That was pretty quiet. Luckily they got it fixed for Iron Maiden.

Loudest.... Anthrax was so loud I couldn't handle being in the arena. Believe it or not, the last band that was so loud I wasn't comfortable, was Porcupine Tree. No idea why they had it cranked up so loud.

I don't recall the loudest show I've seen, since I have been wearing earplugs faithfully for quite some time now. However, the bass at the Kansas/Foreigner/Styx show last weekend was unnecessarily loud.

The quietest show I've seen was Nightwish with Anette the first time they hit Chicago. I didn't even need my ear plugs for that one.

The loudest shows I've been to were Kansas at a club in Bangor, Maine in 1994 and Malmsteen at the State Theater in St. Pete, Florida a few years ago. Both were painful....especially the Malmsteen show. I've never seen more people with their hands over their ears like at that show.

I don't understand why sound guys think this is awesome. Why are they trying to destroy the only way a consumer can enjoy their product?

Oh Christ I was at that show in St. Pete. After about 45 minutes, maybe less, me and my buddy had enough and had to leave. Ear plugs wouldn't have helped. What a douche bag Yngwie is.

I don't understand why sound guys think this is awesome. Why are they trying to destroy the only way a consumer can enjoy their product?

Agreed. I can only think of a handful of concerts I have attended that weren't too loud. Hence the reason I always bring several types of hearing protection (full foam plugs, Etymotic ER20s, Sonic II plugs, and cotton). I never know which form of protection I'll need. Moreover, I've learned to bring extra cotton and foam plugs (the two cheapest protection devices) for guests.

Through the years, I've given away many to newbies in pain. Mostly to total strangers. For example, two weeks ago I saw Scale The Summit with several local opening bands. One middle-aged couple was there to see their son play. They were extremely grateful for the cotton. I didn't bother to tell them it was laced with LSD. I didn't want to ruin their trip. :lol:

The quietest shows, where little if any protection was needed, have been the 2006 Calprog festival and the recent TSO Spring tour. Both were refreshing to HEAR the musicianship rather than the wall of noise.

I also recommend using hearing protection for yardwork. Lawnmowers and especially handheld string-trimmers are extremely loud and just as damaging to your hearing.

I think most think...."hey is it heavy metal...it has to be loud". Nothing is worse than it being so loud it distorts and basically a wall of noise or just making power metal sound like black metal.

I have been to a few old movie theaters where the sound was so loud it was hurting my ears. Basically they had the same mentality....crank up the sound to make it more in your face. I had a headache at the end.