Spiritual Beggars - Demons

IOfTheStorm

Gogol Bordello
Mar 28, 2002
Athens-Greece
www.monolith.gr
The new album. Its rather different from "On Fire" (and BETTER) and reminds very much of "Ad Astra" (best album of the 00s by far). Its sound is dirtier than "On Fire", its more rough and more melodic at the same time, more intense, and it has also the richer sound and the greatest musical variety a SB album had. The keyboards (FUCKIN HAMMOND THAT RULES EVERYTHING) are the protagonists in many parts, Amott wrote some of his best riffs ever, JB's vocals range from blues-y/coverdale-ish melodic ones, to semi-brutal ones, its HEAVY, MELODIC, 70s-ish, EMOTIONAL, and it slays. The usual suspects will highly enjoy it.

yeah, am totally looking foward to this. I saw that it's available in Japan already. Amott has some fascination with Japs or something.

On Fire is fun, but some songs are tedious, and yeah, it's almost too clean and "easy" if that makes sense. I love JB's vocals, so it'll be fun to hear him break it down in a more dirty SB style, yo!

i see it's selling for $36 on eBay :ill:

I'll wait till the proper release, whenever that may be.

I see that Sharlee D'Angelo joined SB for Demons. I wonder what kind of impact, if any, it will have on the new one.

I'm stealing this album. I've heard the first couple, and I give it the Pirate's Approval.

I just got a gander at the new cover. :yuk:

looks like some death metal reject cover or something. I like the psychadelic covers they had going.

Just scanning through this real quick...

This sounds a bit more doomy than usual from them. Throwing Your Life Away fuckin' rocks. I'm hearing so many damn good riffs so far. Can't wait to hear more of this, I love this band..

This is getting better by the minute. Through The Halls is very good. Treading Water is brilliant, great lyrics on that one.

Indeed, its the most "grower" SP album. After more than 20 listening sessions, i have to say that its 100% the album of the year for me, unless Shadow Gallery release an album as good as "Tyranny"

not at all. got mine from The End. None of their stuff is HTF unless you want the originals. The first three albums were all re-released with different artwork and a few bonus tracks.

J. said:
not at all. got mine from The End. None of their stuff is HTF unless you want the originals. The first three albums were all re-released with different artwork and a few bonus tracks.

my s/t is the one with the bonus tracks, and they're pretty damn good too, so i'm glad!

They're a little expensive on half.com at $14, considering they're all used. :erk:

CD universe, best buy, and Amazon all have Ad Astra on backorder. Amazon are selling it used at the same price as half.com.

Nothing at The End or Red Stream.

It's on eBay via buy it now for $14 plus $4 shipping.

I'll keep looking...

according to my search, The End has:

Ad Astra for $14.50
Another Way to Shine for $15
On Fire for $13
s/t for $14

the only one they are missing is Mantra III. Looks like $14 seems to be the average price for a SB CD.

I finally managed to get a hold of "Demons" - it's definitely a step up from "On Fire" (and that was a good album), though I'm not sure yet if it beats "Ad Astra".

JayKeeley, unused copies of "Ad Astra" still seem to be available at amazon.de. The price is quite steep, but at least it's new. I have the limited edition of that album, btw :D