Spock's Beard sign with IOMA

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
SPOCK'S BEARD ANNOUNCES DRUMMER NICK D'VIRGILIO WILL BECOME THE BAND'S NEW LEAD VOCALIST

PROG-ROCK QUARTET SIGNS WITH INSIDEOUT MUSIC AMERICA
The progressive rock band Spock's Beard has announced that drummer Nick D'Virgilio will step from behind his kit and become the group's new lead vocalist. He will play drums on Spock's Beard's studio albums and occasionally live, but primarily a touring drummer will be used for all future concert dates.

D'Virgilio, guitarist/cellist Alan Morse, keyboardist Ryo Okumoto and bass guitarist Dave Meros decided to continue the band and move forward after the departure of vocalist/keyboardist/guitarist Neal Morse in October 2002.

"I'm taking all that practice I got by singing background vocals and bringing it out front," says D'Virgilio. "I am still playing drums on the recordings and will also play live some, but yes I am doing the Phil Collins and Dave Grohl drummer-to-frontman thing."

Spock's Beard has also just signed with InsideOut Music America. The band records for InsideOut in Germany, now it has joined with the North American arm of the company.

A new studio album is targeted for release in June 2003, and it will be Spock's Beard's first with D'Virgilio as the frontman.

"It has definitely been a strange time in the band's history, but life is always full of surprises so why should music be any different? Neal leaving the band was one of those surprises, but after the shock wore off the four of us knew we wanted to keep this thing going. And that is just what we are doing," D'Virgilio says. "We are in the studio cutting a brand new Spock's Beard record to hopefully be released in June with touring to follow in the not too distant future."

The band is recording at Lawnmower and Garden Supply Studios, its longtime studio home. Once again, Spock's Beard is working with engineer/mixer Richard Mouser, who has collaborated with the band ever since 1997's 'The Kindness of Strangers.'

"The music the band is writing is still very Beard-like, so don't be worried. Just be prepared to rock. The whole band, along with a couple of friends, is contributing their writing skills and it is turning out great. We have a 21-minute-long 'epic,' we
have in-your-face head bangin' and just all kinds of fun stuff," says D'Virgilio.

"We have joined with InsideOut Music America and are now, along with InsideOut in Germany, back with all the people and friends that gave Spock's Beard our start. We are very excited to see what the future holds for us."