SSD/Podfarm british core

You shouldn't put yourself down.

Apart from the drums being too loud it sounds great. Very clear. The song is great too.

Have you used any compressors on the drums at all? If you do this then maybe you can bring the drum volume down a bit and it won't sound 'like mush' :p

cheers dude

compressed it for the first few mixes but didnt rele like it, sounded too snappy maybe have another go at it

thanks for the good words i think its so hard too find self confidence when mixing u go too compare and its like 'jesus, mine is terrible' aha

I think the kick could do with a bit more beef, also the toms (guessing they are sampled/replaced) need either more room sound to bring them back out in to the stereo field or to pan them a little less harsh.

Sounds good though man.

What samples did you go for with the kit?

did the final mix wasnt too happy but hey ill improve, it was terrible from the start, ive been using a metal porta cabin which isnt the best idea for drums rele.. all i had to work with but oh well, getting a wooden room done in my garden soon insulating it and everything else agn not gna be the best but ill have my own place which will be better then the porta cabin, or a my wasting my time?

oh i used slate samples, they sound amazing i jus wish i knew how to use em better, now!

one main querry about this whole mix if you cut the guitars out it sounded rele nice put em in jus drowns everything, i am just using the pod farm plugin on my di's straight as an insert, could it be old string or anything else you can think of?

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/2469271/valour final boom.mp3

might be old strings... could be anything...

are you using the cab emulations on the pod farm thing or are you using impulses?

to me it sounds like shitty cab emulation is your main cause of crappy guitar tone... either that or you're not eq-ing it properly.

everything else sounds pretty awesome in that last clip.

yea it was a treadplate cab, some ppl on here get incridible tones from it sort of makes me carry on using it i am deffo gna try some impulses out tho recabinet or catharis ones

and i tried to do minmal eq, eq a pod too much and it sounds bad i think i should have added a slight boost on the mid highs 6-8k and the settings on the amp were pretty much all half way with 80 presence

but thanks man, means alot :) wna record more, improve!

GUYS!?! I need help, I'm 16 and i recorded this band. And i want to make it sound awesome and big. like the song on this thread. DO you have to master it to do so. or what?

yeah mastering is important, but the result depends on how good the mix of the recorded tracks is and how good you are at mastering a certain track, there are billions of things that you can do to master a track (EQ, limiting, Working with wideness, Compression,etc) but it doesn't mean that you are gonna get a big awesome recording just by adding some of these randomly. also if you have a shit recording, mastering can't do much to improve it. and even if you have a good mix and don't know how to master it's about the same thing.

so my best advise for you is:
keep learning becouse it's a LONG way to get to that AWESOME, BIG SOUNDING mix that you need!

PS: there are vst that makes mastering easier for newbies, like Izotope Ozone and T-Racks. just make sure you pay for those before using them :lol:

I think you need to re-eq the bass guitar and it will help out a lot of your guitar problems. The bass tone seems to be all in the sub lows (30-60), like there's nothing above like 60hz (or you have a huge bump below that from 30-60), and you really need that 60-200 area to help fill out the guitars and make them sound "huge"

yea i think i did something bad, i did eq the bass with quite big cuts on the 200-500 and duplicated the tracks one dirty with some cubase distortion and one clean through ampeg SVX they did seem to glue more maybe that was a bad choice with the tho, but i mean it was big big cuts

i did read in a sound on sound about the bass clashing with guitars on that mark