ssl alpha channel

chewyfhtts

Oct 24, 2009
is it possible to connect 2 of these to an mbox 2 or mbox 2 pro?

this way i can run 2 channels in stereo while avoiding the mbox preamps.

EDIT:

via s/pdif of course

SSL Alpha Channel has spdif output? Check!
Mbox 2 have spdif input? Check!

Spdif can handle two channels, but Im not sure how to you would connect two SSL's into the Mbox
this way. Sounds like something that should be possible somehow though.

The SSL has some ports called Link there. Something to do with that perhaps?

SSL Alpha Channel has spdif output? Check!
Mbox 2 have spdif input? Check!

Spdif can handle two channels, but Im not sure how to you would connect two SSL's into the Mbox
this way. Sounds like something that should be possible somehow though.

The SSL has some ports called Link there. Something to do with that perhaps?

Yeah that's what I'm unsure of. Id definitely says there are 2 S/PDIF inputs on the mbox, but I don't see them!

Maybe you can set the output to work as an input or something weird like that??

i think i would have to link them, as the mbox only has a spdif in and out. it would only be able to read one device, unless there's a way i can merge 2 of the channel strips together..... any advice?

Yeah it's pretty simple, you can't use two of them with your MBox :\ Not with SPDIF anyway. The Alpha Channel has analog outputs right? You can always connect those to your MBox's two channels.

Really though I would say get something else like an API A2D (it's about the price of two Alpha Channels http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/APIA2D/), two 3124 preamps with SPDIF output. IMO the 3124 pres will be just as good, if not better than the one in the AC. Also, the Alpha Channel is really just a preamp and EQ... neither of which are really specifically derived from any of the well known/sought-after SSL stuff. The limiter that's built in lacks the parameters you would want to have for it to be useful on anything like vocals, snare, bass, etc. Personally I'd rather EQ ITB than waste money on the SSL, but that's just my 2 cents.

Yeah it's pretty simple, you can't use two of them with your MBox : Not with SPDIF anyway. The Alpha Channel has analog outputs right? You can always connect those to your MBox's two channels.

Really though I would say get something else like an API A2D (it's about the price of two Alpha Channels http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/APIA2D/), two 3124 preamps with SPDIF output. IMO the 3124 pres will be just as good, if not better than the one in the AC. Also, the Alpha Channel is really just a preamp and EQ... neither of which are really specifically derived from any of the well known/sought-after SSL stuff. The limiter that's built in lacks the parameters you would want to have for it to be useful on anything like vocals, snare, bass, etc. Personally I'd rather EQ ITB than waste money on the SSL, but that's just my 2 cents.

ah you're right. i'm getting mixed up with my gear as well. i was thinking of the superanalogue, but that doesn't have spdif out. the api pre is definitely a good idea. i have thought of that before, it seems to be just what i'm after. thanks for your help mate.