Star wars lightsaber sound design

So awesome the ways they make sounds for film sometimes, especially back then when it was not nearly as easy as today.

Wasnt the blaster his trick using a slinky hung up on a ladder with a piezo in one end, and then tapping it gently with a pencil?

Edit:

Last edited by a moderator:
And to you guys who havent seen it:

Yeah it's amazing what kind of sounds people can get out of things when making sound effects for films and such.

I remember seeing somewhere that the trademark godzilla roar was just a leather glove scrapped against a double bass with the strings loosened and then just slowed down, pretty cool if you ask me

i bought this book a couple weeks ago... and it is freaking amazing (highly recommended)!

Pretty amazing videos!
I once saw an interview with Steven Spielberg and he said, that the screams from
the T-Rex in Jurassic Park were the sounds a puppy made while playing, a bit distorted
and pitch shifted and stuff.

Pretty amazing videos!
I once saw an interview with Steven Spielberg and he said, that the screams from
the T-Rex in Jurassic Park were the sounds a puppy made while playing, a bit distorted
and pitch shifted and stuff.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0107290/trivia?tr1428031

according to IMDB... dog, penguin, tiger, alligator, and elephant (and I read the blowhole from a whale on another site)

pretty ridiculous mix. Thanks for posting the vids guys these were really cool to watch

EDIT: even more info here

The T Rex [is] the same idea. This also has an example of a layer. The big scream of the T Rex, the low frequencies are lions and tigers and alligators, but the high frequency sound that we’ll get to is this baby elephant we recorded in Marine World. So, lets’ just play the T Rex layers.

http://www.mpse.org/education/bigmovierydstrom.html

Movie and Videogame sound design seems like such an interesting job. Wish I was creative enough for shit like that :D
Awesome videos, thanks for posting.

There are also some pretty cool "making of sound design" videos for games like The Force Unleashed, Mass Effect etc. on Youtube.