Staring Down Hurricane Frances

Burke

Oct 14, 2002
South Florida
Just an update from South Florida some of you might have seen on the news what a MONSTER this Hurricane is that is swinging in at us - the weather is getting a bit stormy as the first feeder bands come in and things are supposed to really start deteriorating tonight - they don't expect the bulk of the storm to hit before later tomorrow, but the damn thing has winds going out 180 miles from the center so it can bascially cover the state from one coast to the other once is makes landfall and heads in-land. After the ground zero devastation that Charley caused on the other coast a few weeks ago, it's sobering to say the least to have something like this bearing right in at you.

So even though at this point, it doesn't seem likely we'll take a direct hit (still a bit early but a damn good thing if it turns out that way), this system is supposed to hang over us for a complete day because its moving so slow - so sustained haevy winds and rain (flooding) for a whole day can do its own damage in a bad way).

The house is shuttered up, yard is clear, hatches battened down, my brother's motorhome that he uses for racing is parked up close to the house with extra fuel and water, and we've got the supplies we need if we are without power for a sustained length of days - so we're as ready as we're gonna be I guess. Just hoping for the best and that there is no major property loss or damage.

That's all from the 'front' down here in Florida - hopefully I'll have some good news by the end of the weekend!

Wow Mare - a Cat 4? ANDREW back in '92 was more than enough for me, that's for sure.

Well, luckliy, the damn thing skirted far enough north that we got some serious weather for a while, but were truly spared the worst. We did lose power for 27 hours which was not fun (you realize very quickly just HOW important AC is when you are trying to sleep at night... ugh!!). We were well prepared though and are thankfully in one piece.

My job up north in Boca still has no power so NO work today for me which is nice - but then again, there's this DAMN thing called Ivan headed our way now.... geez.... twice in a week? Are ya kidding me? o_O

I'm not sure I can deal with that.... oy.... the sooner I move outta Florida the better.....

Dave,

Glad you came through OK. I was offered a job in Orlando in August and accepted. My plan: to move myself up to O-town on Aug. 14 and the family would follow on Sept. 4. Well, guess what? Hurricane Charley hit Orlando on Aug. 13, moving my first move to Aug. 15 and then the impending landfall of Frances forced me to move up the second phase (to Sept. 2). Luckily, we didn't sustain any damage (other than being in traffic on the Florida Turnpike for 10 hours on Sept. 2 on a trip that normally takes 3 hours). It's good to finally be settled in. Now, let's have that Enchant DVD! :)

Hurricane JEANNE:

Can you BELIEVE this??....

ANOTHER storm? What hurricane does a complete loop-dee-loop before it comes in?....

Christmas.......

I gotta get back to the house and help but the damn hurricane shutters back up again!!!! :ill: