STAudio CPort 2000

Nefilim

Rotten undead buccaneer
I'm buying one of these this week, and I was wondering if anyone had any experience with this soundcard? I know Dan works at Musikbörsen, so maybe you have experience or knowledge about this card? And I know a lot of the people here make music of your own, and I thought maybe someone has used this card before... I've read a lot of good reviews about it, and it seems pretty neat, but it would be great to hear someone's first-hand experience with the gear.

Cheers,
Nef

LObster: The guy who was going to sell it to me was supposed to meet me one afternoon... so I spoke to him in the morning, and all was cool. He said he'd call me in the afternoon when he got back from work. So, I waited for him to call, but when he hadn't called at 20:00 or so, I tried calling him. No answer, so I sent an SMS. No answer. I e-mailed. No answer. I called the next day, and the next and the next. No answer. The fucking idiot probably sold it to someone else. Bah. Dishonest bastards piss me off.
So, anyway, I went and bought an M-Audio Audiophile 2496 instead. It was cheap but I think it's great! I use a V-amp2 through a mixer straight to the card. Works like a charm :)

Nefilim: I just went with MAudio myself, have it ordered, shall be available during the upcoming week. Its a 1010LT, with ten inputs outputs, for great joy :] I heard they do great stuff in every way, so I'm ´kindo excited. I use microphones (not htat much into the whole "lining" thing) through a mixer. The problem is that I get an awful humming noise when recording through the mixer, I really hope it won't be there using MAudio. Bäst att srkiva på engelska, någon ickesvensk kanske är intresserad trots allt ;P

Hmm yeah the humming can be for many reasons... Some of it might be because of a crappy soundcard, but cables, mic's, the mixer and such are very important as well. You might be able to use a noise gate to reduce the humming. Anyway, lycka till!

Well, the card is installed now, and all the humming is gone. what can I say but "hurray", works great. I have been experimenting a bit with the distorded rhythm guitarsound today, using two micks and playing around with compressors and stuff. There's a lot of possibilities I must say. Then I'll probably start workin on some ideas for lead/accoustic guitar and vocals. The drums will have to wait untill I've bouht some more mics.

Cool, what amp and other gear do you use? My amp is a rather crappy combo (at least crappy for metal, good for blues and stuff), so that is why I use a V-amp instead... As for drums I have neither the space nor the cash to make it happen, so I have to program them in Cakewalk :(

Well, my friends Peavey 5150 with a 4x12 is currently located in this room, so I guess it is about as metal as can be :]

Otherwise I use my Hughes & Kettner Amp, sometimes with the metalzone pedal. Metalzone is actually pretty good, on low levels. When playing live it can create somewhat wothless sound.

Right now I'm recording in C using two different guitars, one Gibson Les Paul Studio (mine) with 490R and 498T micks (I think) and my friends Ibanez RG450 japan fitted with a couple of EMGs (EMG 81 for treble and EMG 85 for rhythm)

Some pedals: Boss metalzone, Morley Bad Horsie Wah, Zoom gfx707 (crappy multipedal), and a electro harmonix phaser comin up.

My durmkit is a 90s yamaha kit with pretty cheap cymbals.
Got no bassgear yet. Just a borrowed bass which sounds crap when doin straight lining.