Stereo Imaging/Widening in a Mix Question

robstorm

New Metal Member
Apr 24, 2012
Hey everyone,

Hoping someone can help out with this - using SikTh's "Bland Street Bloom" as reference and trying to get the same depth/width that this mix gets. All I land up with is something that still sounds "direct," whereas the kick in this mix (one element, for example) has incredible presence and punch but doesn't slam against the speakers.

I've tried a hundred different ways (inserts, sends with different short delays, verbs mixed with compression, HP/LP filters) and nowhere near it. Also tried widening on the mix buss.

Here's the track if you haven't heard it:
[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X-EJLG7sJD0&ob=av2n[/ame]

Really appreciate any feedback/tips relating to this :)

Yeah I gave it some time last night - combining the Haas effect with the S1 was incredible for widening out bass guitar. The drum application wasn't so hot haha, I'll keep trying... Starting to think that it's my mix at fault here too.

Thanks for the heads up about the S1 though - I had tried it but it didn't help much, probably because I was feeding it the wrong signal for what I wanted.

:)

I'll check out Ozone - heard about Dr MS too, so I'll check them out!

Thanks again for all the help on this one :)

+1

The widening often is not generated by faking the stereo image...it's all about eq'ing the right things to fit at best with other instruments

yeah, you can hear this while using two guitar tracks, hard panned with the exact same sound.
Just put an EQ on both of them, use a hp on one, a lp on the other, boost for example 3khz on
one of the tracks a bit and cut it on the other one, it sounds soooo much wider.

Or with ampsims, just use a different impulse on one side, same effect and I think nice panned
toms help alot.

But also cutting a little bit both guitar tracks in the mids, expecially low-mids, can "separate" them with the rest of the instruments (drums and bass) so they cut thru much more and the widening is more detectable.

yeah, you can hear this while using two guitar tracks, hard panned with the exact same sound.
Just put an EQ on both of them, use a hp on one, a lp on the other, boost for example 3khz on
one of the tracks a bit and cut it on the other one, it sounds soooo much wider.

Or with ampsims, just use a different impulse on one side, same effect and I think nice panned
toms help alot.

Good tip here! I always used to EQ my guitars the same way L-R but I'll try this for sure ;)

I find that stereo wideners don't work, they just sound phasey. EQ and panning is the best way to get a mix sounding wide. Be careful not to boost the same frequencies too much. Panning is extremely important. Make sure everything finds its own space in the mix. Pan guitars hard left, hard right. If you want the guitars to sound even wider, EQ one side slightly different.

Imo, its more about how loud your centered instrument are, mainly drums. Things totry, are a snare vdrb, compressed via sidechain maybe 3-4db with a quick release. Also try panning instruments to sweet spots, again volume it critical.