Steve at Dynamo with Testament

LordFireworm

May 26, 2002
Visit site
I just saw the video and WHAT THE HELL?!
Why was'nt that bassplaying on The Gathering??!
Anyway,its a damn cool clip of him playing.Very fast and fluid for a 3-2-1 player.I always thought that style in pure speed picking terms would give you a triplet sound but apparently not.
Steve,if you read this,have you thought of doing an instruction video for metal or anything?
Maybe with Sean Reinert...
Mmmmmmmmmmmmmmm.........

You can do any pattern you want, like my NordicBassBro has professed, it's all in the ACCENT. Not accident!
Who plays the same note over and over in sixty-fourths for ten minutes anyways? Speed picking only comes in bursts, embrace it; don't fear it...you slackers.

In musical terms it means that you emphasize a note by an increase in volume for the duration of that note , i.e more attack.
In this particular case , with the 3-2-1-3-2-1 technique , one tries to even out the difference in the three individual fingers (3=ringfinger , 2=middlefinger and 1= index) , by adding accent in a certain pattern.
For example , if you want to play a 16th-note pattern (just an example); but since you play with the 3-2-1-3-2-1 pattern , it's hard to avoid it sounding like groupings of 3 , it kinda gives it a triplet feel ; so then you add accents on notes 1 and 4 :

3 -2-1-3 -2 -1-3-2 -1 -3-2-1 -3 -2-1-3 etc

Other accent patterns will also work , like: 1 and 3 , 1 and 2 , 2 and 4 etc etc.

So the main question is: Make all the notes sound the same, don´t mind what finger you use to pick it, and using accents if you need to make it sound the same. I think got it now.

Ah the picks... Everything is soooooooo simple with those little peaces of plastic. =P

yeah, the accent is the most important part

If you think "well i'm playing 3-2-1-2-3-2-1-2 so I don't triplet on 16th notes", then you have to play triplets and ur fucked up : \

Let's do like some bassists, while the guitars do 16th, let's just do 8th notes, so simple! lol