Steve Smyth's new group

Traxan

Mar 10, 2012
I'm sure they will be touring with Sanctuary soon. :) Some shades of Nevermore guitar histrionics in this one.

----------

Today, GuitarWorld.com presents the exclusive premiere of the official music video for "The Distortion of Lies and the Overdriven Truth" by One Machine.

It also happens to be the title track of the band's debut album, which was released earlier this year via Scarlet Records.

One Machine, the brainchild of guitarist/songwriter Steve Smyth (Testament, Nevermore, Forbidden, Dragonlord, Vicious Rumors), also features vocalist Mikkel Sandager, guitarist Jamie Hunt, bassist Tomas Obeast and drummer Michele Sanna (Note: drummer Raphael Saini played on the new album.)

The Distortion of Lies and the Overdriven Truth was recorded and produced by Smyth. Mixing was handled by Roy Z (Judas Priest, Bruce Dickinson, Halford) and mastering by Alan Douches (Three Inches of Blood, Firewind, Sepultura).

The clip, which you can check out below, was shot by Anthony Dubois and directed by Mike Sloat. As always, be sure to let us what you think of the video and the track in the comments below or on Facebook!

For more about One Machine, visit feedtheonemachine.com. The album is available now at iTunes and a ton of other places!

Last edited by a moderator:
Fuck Steve Smyth. He was the worst guitarist on the worst album Nevermore ever had.

That song you posted is garbage. It hardly constitutes as music at all, just noise and wankery.

Fuck Steve Smyth. He was the worst guitarist on the worst album Nevermore ever had.

That song you posted is garbage. It hardly constitutes as music at all, just noise and wankery.

LOL...if "worst" means one of their most critically acclaimed maybe. There's too many classics on that album for it to come anywhere close to being their "worst". It's easily in their top three.

Anyway, I had high hopes for One Machine, but it's a truly dull album. Lots of ideas that don't mesh well at all, and Mikkel Sandager is just awful on this too, and he was extremely good in Mercenary.

Don't like it

Sounds too alternative to me, will not be recommending this band

But i am sure there are people in Portland organ USA who would enjoy this

LOL...if "worst" means one of their most critically acclaimed maybe. There's too many classics on that album for it to come anywhere close to being their "worst". It's easily in their top three.

Anyway, I had high hopes for One Machine, but it's a truly dull album. Lots of ideas that don't mesh well at all, and Mikkel Sandager is just awful on this too, and he was extremely good in Mercenary.

Seriously, he was so full of shit on that one just looking for an excuse to hate on Smyth.

And you're right, some of the ideas almost seem to crash into each other like a miss matched suit. I think Smyth did everything on his own and put the band together later, plus they changed singers. So maybe a year of touring will help them gel and put out a solid second album. The potential is there.

So does this mean Smyth has left the US for good? He's teaching in England and all these guys are from Europe. He wouldn't be the first American to give up on this country, given the sad state of metal here vs. Europe.

Good thing there is nothing cute near me. I'd kick it right in the face after hearing those vocals. What the fuck.

If music could take a physical form, this would be thin paper rolled up on a cardboard tube hanging right next to my toilet.

Hyperbole aside, yeah this is pretty awful. Everything sounds disjointed, like the vocals (which are bad in their own right) just don't fit with the music, and the music doesn't really fit with itself.

Hyperbole aside, yeah this is pretty awful. Everything sounds disjointed, like the vocals (which are bad in their own right) just don't fit with the music, and the music doesn't really fit with itself.

The music in itself is not that bad. If you set aside the over the top wanky soloing, it's even good. The vocals are totally ruining it, though. There are probably people to like out of rhythm falsetto and misplaced opera things, but not me.

The music in itself is not that bad. If you set aside the over the top wanky soloing, it's even good. The vocals are totally ruining it, though. There are probably people to like out of rhythm falsetto and misplaced opera things, but not me.

Opera vocals... ever heard of a guy named Rob Halford?

Opera vocals... ever heard of a guy named Rob Halford?

Oh yeah. The guy is certainly not Rob Halford, nor King Diamond. Does that mean that when you're not, you'd better not try neither opera nor falsetto? Frankly, the guy's voice is not that bad either. It's just that the vocal lines are wrong, misplaced and do not fit the music. And the falsetto thing is awful.
I maintain, that if you remove the wanky soloing and rewrite completely new vocal lines (even with the same singer), it can be an entertaining tune.

Btw, the video is blocked in Germany, so I had a listen on a crappy mp3 @128kbps.

128 now that is 1985 haha I mean 1995.

Dude don't waste time to spam bad bands - please

I have no idea what the Hell Mikkel Sandager thinks he's doing on that track. With Mercenary, he sang the shingles off the fucking roof, but with this band he's just... I don't know, squealing out of rhythm, like some rank amateur who who's just joined Baby's First Metal band. Crap. Strange that someone like Roy Z didn't say, "Uh, guys, you might wanna rethink those vocals". Then again, maybe they just paid him to mix-and-shut-up.

And that video looks like an art student's first "egdy" project.

For the people who don't know the vocalist (since there seems to be a lot of hate towards him), this is the same guy that delivered vocal performances like these with Mercenary:

also vagina clock

Last edited by a moderator: