Steve Vai

Victory is mine

New Metal Member
Feb 3, 2004
What does everyone here think about Steve Vai? There's loads of people that absolutely swear by him, and my friend at home thinks he's the mutt's nuts but I really don't like him. He strikes me as one of those people that really can play his guitar but for some reason chooses not to. He's like everyone is when they first get a guitar with a whammy bar, using it all the time and thinking it sounds really good.

Having said that, some of his stuff is pretty good, Juice I do like.

Victory is mine said:
What does everyone here think about Steve Vai? There's loads of people that absolutely swear by him, and my friend at home thinks he's the mutt's nuts but I really don't like him. He strikes me as one of those people that really can play his guitar but for some reason chooses not to. He's like everyone is when they first get a guitar with a whammy bar, using it all the time and thinking it sounds really good.

Having said that, some of his stuff is pretty good, Juice I do like.
I like Steve Vai a lot. Many of his songs are best rock songs ever made and He is maybe best player in the world...ever. He is amazing in rythm things. Absolutely amazing.

Vai is all about the rock songs. Alien Love Secrets is one of the best albums ever written, and Passion and Warfare isn't far off. But he does a TON of stupid crap and whammy nonsense that is just plain uninteresting. He should stick to writing rock tunes and soundtracks

He does push the limits of dissonance at times. Most stuff I'm in utter awe of; however, other stuff is hard on the ears. He's one of my favorites to see live though. His show is absolutely amazing. I cannot think of any other performer with as much stage presence. The first time I saw him with Steve Vai I couldn't go near my guitar for a week. I am still trying to figure out how to play the guitar while inch-worming across the ground like he did back then. Fuckin' A. And when he turns the fan on and his hair's blowin' all over and he's making those faces and ripping ass on the guitar - that's amazing stuff.

That said, I can't really say I've enjoyed a full studio album of his. Half the songs rip your head off and the other half make you tilt your head and stare at the stereo to wonder what the hell he is doing.

If you even relatively enjoy a miniscule amount of his music, get his Live at the Astoria DVD. You will want to have his babies.

Steve Vai is an outstanding guitarist. He was certainly one of my major influences when going to a practice routine - his advice on practicing technique is superior to anyone else's I have read. You have to respect him, he lives and breathes his instrument, and he uses it flawlessly as an extension of his heart and soul (sometimes).

His fretboard agility is a standout quality that he possesses, and his creativity is his own unique initiative. I also admire the length of his musical arm and how far it stretches to other cultural themes.
"Fire Garden Suite: Bull Whip, Pulsa Road, Angel Food, Taurus Bulba", for example, is nothing short of brilliant. Because for the most part it's a long journey of blazing guitar notes, fluttering keys, and rhythmic and precise drumming enforced with a solid Middle-eastern tone. However, in the end it results in nothing more than self-indulged wankery.

Steve Vai's greatest weakness is that he is not a musician - he's a guitarist and nothing more. He doesn't write music as he chiefly writes tunes in order to exhibit his amazing chops.
I can recall in the "Yngwie Malmsteen" thread that a few individuals stepped in to defend Vai, and claim that he doesn't wank. How deaf must you be to not understand that every song (if that's what you want to call it) he writes is wankery - only enveloped in occasional passion and magic. It's an integral quality (or weakness) of his distinct sound I suppose, but it is riddled with flaws.

A certain reviewer was precisely on the mark in this statement:"Most of the time his playing has the air of an athlete showing all the girls how much he can bench press, rather then a musician making a statement."

I have the utmost respect for Steve Vai as he is an extraordinary guitarist. His virtuosity is beyond question. However, that is as far as it goes. He's incapable of writing a piece that conveys a passionate statement - falling short of his previous mentor, Joe Satriani, who bears quite a few heart-wrenching ballads.

And as far as being the best guitarist in the world? Not even close. He has nothing over Tony MacAlpine, Sonny Lombardozzi, Mattias IA Eklundh, or Joe Satriani. And that's only a few to name.

Again, I admire him as a guitarist, however, that's all he is.

G-master wrote
Steve Vai's greatest weakness is that he is not a musician - he's a guitarist and nothing more. He doesn't write music as he chiefly writes tunes in order to exhibit his amazing chops.
I can recall in the "Yngwie Malmsteen" thread that a few individuals stepped in to defend Vai, and claim that he doesn't wank. How deaf must you be to not understand that every song (if that's what you want to call it) he writes is wankery - only enveloped in occasional passion and magic. It's an integral quality (or weakness) of his distinct sound I suppose, but it is riddled with flaws.

Have to disagree with most of this statement. Maybe you should listen to Mike Keneally's piano renditions of Vai's 'songs'.....they translate very well and i think highlight the musicality of his pieces....maybe you should get your hearing checked (especially if you rank Tony MacAlpine higher than Vai).
I also think that Vai does a great job of creating great musical landscapes that i don't necessarily get from a lot of guitarists......maybe you should drop some acid and put on Passion and Warfare.o_O

He's incapable of writing a piece that conveys a passionate statement - falling short of his previous mentor, Joe Satriani, who bears quite a few heart-wrenching ballads.
never heard the songs Tender Surrender, Windows to the Soul, Frank, For the Love of God, Whispering a Prayer?.....are those statements not passionate enough for you :confused: ....maybe its fake passion and i'm just falling for it. Is Satch only being passionate when he's playing ballads?

Look, I'm not a blind fanboy of Vai's who claims to love everything he's done but some of the statements made about being a pure wanker just don't sit well. When i think guitar wank i think of guys like Rusty Cooley, George Bellas and a majority of the 80's Shrapnel crew who just run out one arpeggio after another.....like a lot of MacAlpine's earlier stuff.

I dont really like him. I havent heard much of his stuff, but i get the impression he doesnt really alternate pick scales very often...at G3 he seemed to rely mostly on tapping and tremelo arm effects, with some sweeping thrown in.

Who cares if he doesn't alternate-pick? That's one technique of many. That's like disliking a drummer who doesn't do bass rolls. Who cares? Silly...

I don't like Vai at all. I used to love his music, I used to think he was amazing, etc etc etc. If any of you are familiar with Frank Zappa's 80s material, then you probably found out, like I did, that a great deal of what Vai does NOW dates back to what Zappa told him to do back then. There's a great live rendition of "Sofa No. 1" in which Steve Vai plays the main melody as the band backs him up... It honestly sounds like every slow song Vai ever wrote. Same stock-licks, same passionless bologna, etc.

Occasionally, he can be creative, but he's so obsessed with being showy that he can't tell when it starts to hurt his songs. And I'm not talking about fast guitar playing or solos, I'm talking about his whole melodic approach.

Weigh that against the fact that he hasn't released an album of original music worth a damn since "The Ultra Zone" (Alive in an Ultra World doesn't count, it's all improv... another concept he stole from FZ, but oh well...) and what you've got is a shitty guitarist.

No me gusta Vai. There are better shred-heads out there, and better non-shred music, as well.

Steve Vai is amazing, and he is the best guitarist ever in my opinion. His album "Flexable" is one of the worst albums I have ever heard. It's one of those albums you have to force yourself to get through. The Attitude Song is good though. Just wanted to put my opinion up.

Didn't Vai 'invent' the 7-string?

I really like Vai, but his compositions/melodies sometimes get a bit strange to a point when it's not cool anymore. I'm listening to 'Sisters' right now. That's a great relaxing tune.

Taliwakker said:
maybe you should get your hearing checked (especially if you rank Tony MacAlpine higher than Vai).

My previous statement concerning MacAlpine, was to acknowledge that he was just one of the many guitarists that Vai had nothing over. And technically, it's very accurate - Steve has nothing over Tony when comparing skill. That doesn't imply that I rank Tony higher.

I also think that Vai does a great job of creating great musical landscapes that i don't necessarily get from a lot of guitarists......maybe you should drop some acid and put on Passion and Warfare.o_O

The musical landscapes you speak of are often (not always) submerged in seething fretboard stunts and tasteless keyboards; suffering immensely from his over-the-top wizardry.
The "Passion and Warfare" disc has received quite a few spins in my player - as it always will. But, it suffers from his occasional and often overdone nonsense. Crafting unique "noises" - imitating martian voices for example - with your electric guitar is not music.

However, being the fan of Vai that I am, I am more than willing to point out the work he has offered that is devoid of flaws.

never heard the songs Tender Surrender, Windows to the Soul, Frank, For the Love of God, Whispering a Prayer?.....are those statements not passionate enough for you :confused: ....maybe its fake passion and i'm just falling for it. Is Satch only being passionate when he's playing ballads?

And how about "Feathers", "Brandos Costumes (Gentle Ways)", "Boston Rain Melody", and "Rescue Me Or Bury Me"? I've heard everything he has to offer, Tali. Generally, he has the right idea every now and then, but will ultimately lack in the end due to his ego. The majority of those songs - including "For the Love of God" - are usually victims to senseless self-indulgence. Which is a shame, because the impact of "For the Love of God", when it first hits the speakers is fantastic: the intro is powerful, soulful, and could be considered the epitome of "making love" to your guitar. But, as I said, that orgasmic and passionate experience endures only briefly.

Joe Satriani is not limited to exhibiting his passion during ballads, but through quite a few of his other songs as well. He prefers to focus strongly on his songwriting rather than blindly churning out notes at 200 mph.
This is subjective, but Satch's guitar tone is among one of the best. Vai could have learned a few things from his mentor's, "Surfing With the Alien".

Look, I'm not a blind fanboy of Vai's who claims to love everything he's done but some of the statements made about being a pure wanker just don't sit well. When i think guitar wank i think of guys like Rusty Cooley, George Bellas and a majority of the 80's Shrapnel crew who just run out one arpeggio after another.....like a lot of MacAlpine's earlier stuff.[/QUOTE]

I don't take you as a blind fanboy of Vai (aren't you huge fan of Holdsworth?) - and I will most certainly agree with you on Rusty Cooley and George Bellas. Vai has a keen sense of creativity, and his unusual arrangements are purely unique. But, if I go on I'll just be repeating myself.

I'm absolutely in awe of Vai, but some of his stuff, as a few people said here, is way too hard on the ears. But man.

If you haven't seen his performance on the newest G3 DVD (the one with Yngwie), WATCH IT. The triple-neck opening is one of the best pieces of guitar work I've ever seen. Period. It's just genius. And there's a part near the end where he's doing these muted 16ths on all the strings with mind-bending speed, and somehow bringing out a single note melody - really cool stuff. And Live at the Astoria is full of amazing music and technical feats.

I'd just like to know where the guy gets his melodies... AND HIS CLOTHES! The guy has the coolest freakin' style, hahaha.

OfSinsAndShred said:
I'd just like to know where the guy gets his melodies... AND HIS CLOTHES! The guy has the coolest freakin' style, hahaha.

I'll have to agree there - he makes one hell of a fashion statement for musicians.

OfSinsAndShred said:
I'm absolutely in awe of Vai, but some of his stuff, as a few people said here, is way too hard on the ears. But man.

If you haven't seen his performance on the newest G3 DVD (the one with Yngwie), WATCH IT. The triple-neck opening is one of the best pieces of guitar work I've ever seen. Period. It's just genius. And there's a part near the end where he's doing these muted 16ths on all the strings with mind-bending speed, and somehow bringing out a single note melody - really cool stuff. And Live at the Astoria is full of amazing music and technical feats.

Absolutely right, that opening is unique. In fact, the way that that opening blends in with the whole song is amazing.

I saw Vai on the Arrow Rock Festival here in Holland together with Satriani & Fripp, and Vai was definately the standout. He played exactly the songs I wanted to hear (also the song with the 3-neck guitar!). Generally I like Satriani's style a bit more, but the bass sound was distorted and he didn't put on much of a show. Seeing and hearing Vai from less than one meter is heaven.