Stockholm around '90 in the Sunlight studio. AxeFX goes old school!

TheDude

Jocke Skog
Jan 8, 2007
Stockholm - Sweden
Fooled around with the Metal Zone sim in the AxeFX, and the rest just fell in place. Took about 2 hours from the initial guitar sound to the final mix so if it sounds like dog shit... ;)

The bass is a Epiphone 5-string SG-3 into the AxeFX. "ProCo Rat"->"Recto"->Ampeg 4x12 cab IR. Drums are Superior 2.0 with a beta drum kit that'll be released later this year. ;)

http://dl.getdropbox.com/u/315378/stuff/Stockholm_1990.mp3

See if you get the same vibe as I do. Enjoy!

Edit: The IR was one of the old "Marshall 1960A T75 SM57" IR's originally posted by Splat88. Still among the best Marshall/SM57 IR's on the Internet. Thanks man!

I don't really like the sunlight studio guitar sound for starters, so this guitar tone isn't something I would want... ever :loco:
The rest of the mix sounds fucking awesome tho, really loving the bass and the kick. What distortion are you using on the bass and what other processing did you do?

for 2 hours fucking around it sounds uber!:headbang::headbang::headbang: More info on the beta drum kit from Superior, please, b/c rumors were flying for a few weeks, but toontrack is silent.

It sound really interesting! Maybe use less mids on guitars. I also agree with Sptz about the fizz..
Did you record direct? What do you think of the Metal Zone sim? All settings maximized?

It's direct. The MZ is terrible, and sounds just as horrible as the recordings/live gigs I've heard, BUT I don't own a real one, so...

All settings maxed out, into a "JCM900" with the gain on 2 and master on 10.

for 2 hours fucking around it sounds uber!:headbang::headbang::headbang: More info on the beta drum kit from Superior, please, b/c rumors were flying for a few weeks, but toontrack is silent.

I can't really say too much, but it'll be metal alright. Don't tell anyone, but I think that Haake has something to do with it. ;)

I totally loved everything about this piece of music. The tone isn't something I'd personally try to achieve, but those old school kind of death metal tones definitely have an awesome vibe about them, and you did it really well, not to mention the fact that it blends in with the drum sound nicely.

Keep it up! :)