Stones & Hendrix

sixxswine

rockandrollazine.blogspot
As you know I have been in more of a "rock" mode recently.
I picked up The Stones' "Jumpback" hits collection & The Hendrix
Best of collection issued by MCA.
While I'm not a huge fan of either of the two I must say that
these collections do have some killer material on them that
I probably wouldn't have given the time or day previously...
I have also been listening to the Steel Wheels & Stripped records quite a bit...
What's some other Stones records worth owning?
SIXX

My favorite Stones stuff is the late 60's and 70's.

Their Satanic Majesties
Beggars Banquet
Sympathy for the Devil
Let It Bleed
Sticky Fingers
Exile on Main St.
Goats Head Soup
It's Only Rock 'N Roll
Black and Blue
Some Girls
Emotional Rescue
Tattoo You

Greeno said:
My favorite Stones stuff is the late 60's and 70's.

Beggars Banquet 1968
Let It Bleed 1969
Sticky Fingers 1970
Exile on Main St. 1972
Goats Head Soup 1973
Five of the best records ever recorded! An amazing period of creativity!!!

For fans of blues-based, hard rock (yes, HARD rock), this is what you need.

Exile on Main Street and Aftermath are my favorite Stones disks.

The Stones made some great songs, but a lot of their albums seem a bit uneven to me... IMO they're a band that are well served by Best Of compilations.

If you want to try just one Stones record, I'd go straight for "Let it Bleed".

Literally every track is amazing (and the same really can't be said of many of their other albums).

Next up, I'd go for "Sticky Fingers". The deserate, dark blues of "Sister Morphine" is intoxicating. That songs moves me like few can.

I haven't heard that much stones, but I think Hendrix is tight. What is a good hendrix album to own other than a greatest hits one? I love that song "A Long the watch tower".

royboy said:
I haven't heard that much stones, but I think Hendrix is tight. What is a good hendrix album to own other than a greatest hits one? I love that song "A Long the watch tower".

Hell, all of the original disks are essential - Are you Experienced, Axis: Bold As Love, Electric Ladyland. There are a ton of other releases that have excellent material as well.. it's hard to go wrong.

The Stones have so much material it's not funny. Who doesn't like at least a few songs by them ? (or by Jimi for that matter.) Like one replyer stated though, there seems to be a lot of filler among the Stones releases. Then again, they had some great stuff like Sympathy, Angie, Black etc.

Bryant

royboy said:

Actually that's a Bob Dylan song, but Hendrix totaly nails it.

wdiv said:
Hell, all of the original disks are essential - Are you Experienced, Axis: Bold As Love, Electric Ladyland. There are a ton of other releases that have excellent material as well.. it's hard to go wrong.

Thanks for the input, I gonna goto the cdstore and check his albums out now.