Stratovarious Announce New Bassist

BABS

Feb 11, 2002
Visit site
Got this from my daily "guilty pleasure" aka Blabbermouth:

As reported here on July 3, Finnish melodic metallers STRATOVARIUS have now officially confirmed that they have enlisted bassist Lauri Porra (SINERGY, KOTIPELTO, TUNNELVISION, WARMEN) as the replacement for longtime member Jari Kainulainen, who left the group a few weeks ago. STRATOVARIUS have issued the following statement regarding the lineup change:

"Longtime bass player Jari Kainulainen has left STRATOVARIUS. There is no drama or bad blood. Jari just doesn't have it in his heart to tour this heavily anymore.

"Jari is not dropping out of the scene, he will continue to play metal.

"The new bass player is Lauri Porra. He is 27 years old and a native of Helsinki, Finland. He has previously played with SINERGY, WARMEN and KOTIPELTO."

Commented Lauri: "I'm very honored to be invited to play with STRATOVARIUS and follow in the steps of such a great bass player as Jari. I'm really looking forward to going on the road with STRATOVARIUS, to meet some old friends, and to hopefully make lot of new ones."

Check out pictures of the new STRATOVARIUS lineup at this location.

STRATOVARIUS' new self-titled album is scheduled for release on September 5 via Sanctuary Records. A video for the album's first single, "Maniac Dance", was shot on April 15 in Helsinki by director and guitarist Timo Tolkki's old schoolmate Antti Jokinen (BEYONCÉ, WYCLEF JEAN, KORN, MISSY ELLIOT, NIGHTWISH, SHANIA TWAIN, CELINE DION).

STRATOVARIUS will be teaming up with INTO ETERNITY for a North American tour beginning in mid-September.

Although Jari will indeed be greatly missed, the new guy will undoubtedly shred royally as well, given his rather impressive credentials for being so young. Hail! Can't wait to hear the new CD and see these guys play live in September! Hail!

junnie from the east said:
wow Lauri Porra is a great bassist! i saw him with Sinergy :)

I agree with you Junnie. I've seen Lauri live with 3 different groups (Sinergy, Kotipelto solo and an "all-star" cover band with couple of Nightwish members too) and not only he plays the bass great but he also is a lot more exciting to watch on the stage than Jari Kainulainen is, he's moving a lot and is really into the show.

Btw. he has also won the Finnish bass soloing championship contest at least once, I may go see the contest this year for the first time since it's next Wednesday just two days before the Tuska festival, I'll let you know if he wins it again :)

junnie from the east said:
wow that contest sounds interesting!!! next Wed means, tomorrow? please let me know :) and have fun in Tuska! :kickass:

Yeah the contest is tomorrow but I'm going to end up skipping it since I'm saving money for some big trip in September :) Will be traveling to Helsinki on Thursday for the Tuska weekend though, thanks, I'll definitely have some fun there!

If you guys just knew what his last name means in Portuguese...... LOL

Anyway, the new Strato album is really not bad. Especially if we compare to the previous two Elements releases.

AngraRULES said:
If you guys just knew what his last name means in Portuguese...... LOL

Anyway, the new Strato album is really not bad. Especially if we compare to the previous two Elements releases.

Does it mean the same as in spanish?

TBJ said:
Does it mean the same as in spanish?
Well, Spanish & Portuguese are in the same language family ;)

BABS said:
Lauri Porra (SINERGY, KOTIPELTO, TUNNELVISION, WARMEN)
Now there's four bands I'd love to see live!
I wish Tunnelvision had gained more recognition - they were awesome.

Thanks for posting the news, BABS!

~Tammy~