String Quartet arrangement of Dragon's Den

Jun 9, 2007
I'm trying to write In the Dragon's Den for a Quartet of two Violins, viola, and cello. I'm trying to write it one step down from what the song normally is, starting on D instead of E. Wish me luck! :D I'll post my work up as I progress and if there is any advice or help any of you have to offer that would be great. One thing that concerns me is that the solos are too hard. The song is very complex too.

That's one thing I'm struggling with. I'm really bad with actually writing out rhythms on a score and the vocal part isn't already tabbed.

So I'm guessing the violins will be playing the guitar and keyboard parts while the cello plays the bass? Will the viola play the vocal melody?

Also, just curious, but what made you choose to arrange this song in particular?

Well, I want there to be some chord structure too that is done in the keyboards. So the violins/viola may be doing that while keeping rhythm of the guitar part. The cello does the bass. The solos will definitely be violins. I chose this song in particular because I'm in a string quartet in school and In the Dragons Den I thought would be fun for them to do. It's also got a lot of neoclassical influence in it.

I play cello. I can already play the bass part on cello. The only thing that needs changing is the little bass run. Just a little bit though. It's just that everything else needs to be reworked to fit the instrumentation.

Well I know the cello is going to do the bass / rhythm guitar parts. But the trouble here is that I now have to add the vocal melody while still having the correct chord structure. Otherwise it wouldn't sound correct. I just have to decide what instruments would play which parts. Some of you might know more about arranging than I. What would you suggest?