STRYPER To Release 'God Damn Evil' Album In April; Cover Artwork, Track Listing Revealed

MetalAges

Purveyor of the Unique & Distinct
Staff member
Sep 30, 2001
Virginia, USA
www.ultimatemetal.com
STRYPER has set "God Damn Evil" as the title of its new album, due on April 20 via Frontiers Music Srl. The disc was recorded at SpiritHouse Recording Studios in Northampton, Massachusetts. The follow-up to 2015's "Fallen" marks STRYPER's first effort since the addition of former FIREHOUSE bassist Perry Richardson. Perry joined the band as the replacement for STRYPER's longtime bassist Tim Gaines, who was fired from the group last year. "God Damn Evil" track listing: 01. Take It To The Cross 02. Sorry 03. Lost 04. God Damn Evil 05. You Don't Even Know Me 06. The Valley 07. Sea Of Thieves 08. Beautiful 09. Can't Live Without Your Love 10. Own Up 11. The Devil Doesn't Live Here STRYPER guitarist/vocalist Michael Sweet stated about "God Damn Evil": "I can tell you this: if you kind of take the best of a handful of STRYPER albums and you kind of roll it up into a big, old fat burrito, that's what you're gonna get with this album. On a couple of songs, you're gonna hear qualities of 'Against The Law', you're gonna hear qualities of 'Fallen', you're gonna hear qualities of 'No More Hell To Pay' — and even 'To Hell With The Devil' and 'Soldiers [Under Command]'. You're gonna get the best of all those worlds in one world. "We have already said this in private, I don't know if we've said it publicly, and people always kind of sneer when they hear bands say this, and I say it for every album —whatever — I really believe it for every album, 'cause I'm one of those guys that strives to improve and get better. But this is STRYPER's best album. And when it comes out and people hear it, in terms of the songs, the performances, the quality, the audio, the sonic quality, the flow, the feel, the energy, people, I think, will agree — most people. There are always those people that live in denial and just say, 'There's nothing as good as 'To Hell With The Devil',' and that's because they're kind of stuck in the '80s. And that's fine — it's totally fine. I love the '80s too. I'm stuck in the '80s in some ways as well, and that's great — there's some great music that came from the '80s. But, at the same time, I really believe, and I think a lot of our fans — I'll go as far as to say maybe even most of our fans believe that we're doing some of the best music and making some of the best albums that we ever have in our career." Sweet recently told ListenIowa that both the title and the lyrics of the title track of STRYPER's new album would be "shocking" to STRYPER fans — "moreso than with 'To Hell With The Devil'. When people hear it, they're going to go, 'What? Can you tell me that again?'" he said. Perry did not play bass on STRYPER's new album due to scheduling contraints. The bass tracks on "God Damn Evil" were laid down by John O'Boyle, who played bass on Sweet's last two solo albums.
strypergoddamnevilcd.jpg

Continue reading...