Studio Monitors, Reference Monitors

3tuxedo

Apr 2, 2011
Hey dudes, I have a pair of M-Audio Bx5a's, which I sort of regret doing. They sound really flat and crisp which is cool, but i didnt know what reference monitors were at the time and didn't have much money to spend. There is just about no bass/low mid on these speakers. Which sucks. Right now i have them jerry-rigged with a stereo amplifier and a passive sub. It's really not the best. I'm looking to sell them and get a new pair. What do you guys suggest? (in budget obviously)

What is your budget? I have a pair of mackie MR8s that ran me back about $500, now they have the MR8 mk 2. Their MR5s are also pretty great, as are the yamaha hs50m's and hs80m's. I'd recommend 8" cones over 5".

Yamaha HS monitors seems almost to be industry standard. If u want low freqs you should get HS80 or HS50 + subwoofer. The HS50 monitors only goes down to 50-55 Hz so you will miss a lot of low end without a sub.

Those monitors ^^^ are all flat sounding too, KRK's are the ones with bass.

Isn't a flat sound the point of a reference monitor? :err:

Yamaha HS monitors seems almost to be industry standard. If u want low freqs you should get HS80 or HS50 + subwoofer. The HS50 monitors only goes down to 50-55 Hz so you will miss a lot of low end without a sub.

That's why I like 8" cones ;)

Those monitors ^^^ are all flat sounding too, KRK's are the ones with bass.

Lol, Yamaha HS80 goes down to 42Hz, KRK RP8 goes down to 45Hz. And KRK are not ideal for mixing in what i've heard since they do no have a flat frequency curve which is a good thing when you're mixing.

Lol, Yamaha HS80 goes down to 42Hz, KRK RP8 goes down to 45Hz. And KRK are not ideal for mixing in what i've heard since they do no have a flat frequency curve which is a good thing when you're mixing.

First you said their not ideal for mixing then you say them not having a flat frequency curve is a good thing when you mixing? Your out of your mind.

I was only recommending KRK's because he wants monitors with more bass, I am very aware that most people do not like KRK's for the same reason.

The KRK doesn't have a flat frequency curve, which makes them bad for mixing and there are other options than KRK if you want low frequencies...

Well i sure as heck have a budget. I could probably spend like 400 if its a good deal.