circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Suzukiton – Service Repair Handbook
Crucial Blast Records – CBR39 – July 12th, 2005
By Jason Jordan

SUZUKIservbig.jpg

More like Trephine than Pelican, Suzukiton are peddling a variation of instrumental metal that hits relatively hard. For the most part, Service Repair Handbook is straightforward as far as musicianship is concerned, and this thirteen-song compendium shies away from thick, sprawling structures, which is quite refreshing.

Those of you that horde metal knowledge will already know that Suzukiton contains former and current members of Alabama Thunderpussy. The album commences with “Arithmatits” – a clever title – and mixes Southern sludge with a large amount of groove. Overall, the approach works well. At times, I think “Meatal” could pass for a more simplistic Mastodon, and emphasizing the riff at the 1:15 minute mark was undeniably a smart move. The third excursion, “Rogue Mechanica,” also has that Mastodon feel to it, though its creeping pace doesn’t ever escalate. Another noteworthy element found on Service Repair Handbook is the spectacular drumming that supports “R & T”; within the aforementioned composition, Cox complements the instrumentation with expert precision and is creative to boot. I hear Trephine on “Aquachimp,” but Suzukiton are innately metal, without a doubt. The only significant departure – from the group’s formula – is the aptly-titled “Slow Song,” which is why it’s a nice closer.

The year 2005 (although this was originally recorded in 2002) has cultivated a massive swarm of quality, instrumental releases, and Suzukiton have crafted one of the better ones. While it may not be king of the hill, Service Repair Handbook is an infectious, enjoyable outing that’ll have you marveling at the band’s ingenuity. The thirty-five minutes I burnt in order to listen to this disc were well invested, and so is the currency it takes to make this purchase.

8.5/10

Official Suzukiton Website
Official Crucial Blast Records Website