Swedish prog

Thanks! The best for me to hear of these bands is through word of mouth. By the way, I'll be in Stockholm in November, do you know a store where they would sell cd's by these bands?

Don't know land's end, but Anekdoten and Anglagard kick some serious ass, they have some really twisted sounding tunes. But one band blows them both away: Sinkadus!!!! You've got to check these guys out, they up the weirdness factor and aggression, but sound incredible!

Originally posted by svenske kocken
Try out real swedish progg like Nationalteatern, Hoola Bandola Band, Fläsket Brinner, Blå Tåget, Träd Gräs och Stenar, Samla Mammas Manna, Grus I Dojjan etc. This is what we in Sweden refer to as progg.

wow, I was very intrigued by your post, particularly by the line: "This is what we in Sweden refer to as progg". Interesting.

If you have will and the time, could you please elaborate on this? What defines swed prog? Hopefully it's not like dream theatre or some other talented yet bland hair band. Would you be so kind as to provide some descriptions and (if you have them) links to sample this stuff. The band names sound just completely fucked-up enough to me to get off on it (hopefully, as getting off is always the objective when prog is concerned, hehe).

respectfully,

Satori

Well, mostly you refer to prog as well played music, long songs, big arrangements, big productions and maybe a somewhat pretentious touch. Pink Floyd, Jethro Tull, Genesis - that´s what most people consider as prog. But the swedish progg is completely different. In this music it´s not talent that are important. The general idea was that anyone could make their own music, just as long as they were political enough. The whole progg scene was about politics. If you could play your instrument or not wasn´t important. So many of this bands is plain shit. But Hoola Bandola Band, Kebnekajse etc is very good. The progg was very big in Sweden in the seventies and many of this bands have a cult status today. Like Nationalteatern.

I´ll give you a deeper insight in the progg later, with links, pictures - and maybe even sounds!