Symphony X in South America

felipesaldes

New Metal Member
Jul 18, 2008
I love this band but some of their latest works have lost originality, inspiration, hard work and passion, in my opinion. So does anyone know the setlist that they'll be doing in South America, or in Chile if possible? Second and less important, are they doing the song "The Odyssey"? (I heard that monster live and I was REALLY impressed!!!!!)

Considering that it's a rather short tour (six dates) that begins only a week or so after the North American tour ends, I see no reason why they wouldn't play The Odyssey (they've been doing it on the NA tour). It really all depends on who the supporting bands are, though - they're only playing The Odyssey now because Nevermore dropped off the tour and they have more time to play. They didn't play the song on the European tour, where Nevermore's presence forced Symphony X to play a shorter set.

Apparently they didn't have much time to rehearse before these latest mini-tours, so they've been playing the tunes that they know the best (a lot of Paradise Lost stuff, unfortunately). Their current North American set is:

Of Sins and Shadows
Domination
Serpent's Kiss
The End of Innocence
Paradise Lost
Smoke and Mirrors
Eve of Seduction
Dehumanized
Set the World on Fire
The Odyssey

I also agree with you that Paradise Lost and the stuff we've heard from Iconoclast is lacking the passion and beautiful keyboard parts that The Odyssey and prior albums contained. However, numerous reviews have stated that Iconoclast will have tons of progressive and melodic stuff, so try to keep your head up!

"I love this band but some of their latest works have lost originality, inspiration, hard work and passion, in my opinion."

Guys, all these complaints about Symphony X new musical direction reminded me of this video by Twisted Sister in which Jay Jay French says: “All these new fucking bands do is bitch, and bitch and bitch: my life sucks, my girlfriend sucks, my job sucks, my boss sucks, my mother sucks. If you're that fucking depressed, go to a fucking psychiatrist and don't fucking pollute the motherfucking airwaves.”

I would like to parody it and say: “All these Symphony X fans do is bitch, and bitch, and bitch: 'Paradise Lost sucks, the new song sucks, the new album cover sucks. If you're that fucking disappointed, go somewhere else and don't fucking pollute the motherfucking forum!”:lol:

Last edited by a moderator:
It's not like that, I'm don't feel that bad nor I'm talking because I want to complain about anything, it's just a well-founded opinion.
And Detective, thanks a lot, that answer couldn't be better!!!!!!

Already seen Odyssey live, is fucking ludicrous but I'd like to see other songs this time.

They'll play with PoS here.

"I love this band but some of their latest works have lost originality, inspiration, hard work and passion, in my opinion."

Sure you're entitled to have an opinion, but I completely disagree. I love all SX works since I first listened to The Divine Wings of Tragedy many, many, many years ago. Upon the release of Paradise Lost I freaked out on the album, it went straight to my "favorites" shelf. I'm looking forward that Iconoclast will follow the same fate.

BTW, concerning the Rio de Janeiro gig... If anyone cares to join, I'll have a few pints of Guiness at the Lapa Irish Pub starting at 5 pm (local time). It's very close to the venue, just e-mail or PM me for directions.

Already seen Odyssey live, is fucking ludicrous but I'd like to see other songs this time.

I'll never ever say that again. I'm not gonna lie and say I loved the rest of the setlist and maybe that actually highlighted the song, but The Odyssey is REALLY incredible to see live. I just got chills the entire song ffs, but Champion of Ithaca really takes the cake.

For those wondering, the band and crew are already in Buenos Aires, and the show will go on Saturday night as planned. We hope that everyone who'll be traveling to the show will have a safe trip!

Thanks Marwen, Thanks Jax!!! My heart skipped a beat on that one...
Thought of cheking out the forum, now that "the guys" are visiting us for a third time, and as usual, I wouldn't miss it for the world (or my job ;) ).

Xtopher, I hope you can make it. There are a bunch of bars alongside the Rivadavia Avenue, near the gig. None of them are remarkable enough to recommend, but a beer is a beer :)

At least some of you have been able to see them live! Some of us don't care what the setlist is, we'd just like to see them play anything.