Synth Basics

JeffEstrada

Ascend Recordings
Dec 16, 2010
Iv'e been really interested in synthesizers. I'd like to be able to grab the tone I hear in my head and actually create it instead of having to rely on patches and presets all the time. What I know about the types of waves and the different sounds they produce is pretty much next to nothing. I would really like to start from basics. Does anyone know of any great books or video lessons to look out for?

_Jeff_

considering subtractive synthesis is pretty much all the same ...you would need to start off by finding a synth plugin/hardware you are comfortable with. then learn as much as you can about that synth.

then, once you have "hit a ceiling" with the synth, (learned everything you can) you can then approach a new synth in the market.

it's best to find a synth that is incredibly robust, expandable and (more importantly) -fairly- user friendly.

i would recommend omnisphere... but there are a lot more forms of synthesis in that plugin. my second recommendation would be native instruments massive. it is extremely easy to use and has a ton of resources available online from the third party developer/user... huge community.

it's a tough nut to crack, once you get started but after a while, the "programming" aspect of it is much more fluent.

groove3, youtube, sonic academy, macprovideo are all great resources for learning new software.

hope this helps some! ;)