Rodrigo

Heat in 7
Apr 17, 2001
Southern California
TAD MOROSE – MODUS VIVENDI
Century Media - 2004

By Rodrigo Escandon

MV.jpg

After being completely disappointed with Tad Morose’s last album Matters of the Dark, which followed the excellent Undead, I did not really know what to expect with the bands 6th release Modus Vivendi. On one hand I was skeptical that they would be able to come up with a good effort and on the other hand I was really hoping for an album with the same vibe that Undead had. However, neither prediction turned out to be true.

Modus Vivendi is a lot better than Matters of the Dark. The band seems more energized which relates to a lot stronger songs but it does not reach the level that they have shown that they could reach. Basically, my main problem with this album is the fact that after the album stops playing I have an extremely hard time remembering the songs. There is nothing memorable about Modus Vivendi. Power metal has become very stagnant and stale in the past few years and not many bands truly shine. Albums and bands seem to blend together and the usual feelings of having it heard before or not remembering a song seem to pop up time and time again with the latest releases in this genre.

With that said, I have nothing to complain about the band’s playing and dedication. The guitar playing of Christer and Daniel are very heavy and they make a very good duo but there are no riffs, no leads, no melodies that make me want to listen to again. Peter’s powerful drumming is precise and perfect for the music but nothing out of the ordinary, the same applies to Ander’s bass playing. The one aspect that does stand out is Urban’s singing. He has a very powerful and commanding voice and I almost feel like his talents are being wasted with this music.

Let me reiterate that there is nothing wrong with the band’s playing. The band is good at what they do and I am sure that many people will get crazy over this album but to my ears there is nothing in Modus Vivendi that makes me want to listen to again. If an album just does not click with you there are no additional listens that will make that happen.

Century Media Website
Tad Morose Official Website

ya this album is generic indeed just going through the motions here I thought "matters of the dark" was a good album though the vocals on this album are flat and not too inspiring unlike motd so this album will be making a trip to ebay soon say bye bye

I dont know what you mean generic, there cant be much left in powermetal to explore if you can say that this album is generic. I heard it recently and was blown away by every aspect the band had to deliver.