circus_brimstone

Forest: Sold Out
Jul 5, 2003
Indiana
Taint – The Ruin of Nova Roma
Candlelight Records – CDL0297 – March 7th, 2006
By Jason Jordan

ruin_cover.jpg

From the same label that recently brought you Grand Magus’s Wolf’s Return, Witchcraft’s Firewood, and Capricorns’s Ruder Forms Survive comes Taint’s equally stunning The Ruin of Nová Roma. Candlelight Records obtained U.S. distribution, however, and I’m so glad I ran across this album because it delivers the goods more efficiently than U.P.S. and FedEx combined. A tantalizing blend of subgenres, buttressed by exceptional songwriting, sends Taint soaring over the competition, leaving me to inform you that this is one of the finest debuts we’ll see this year. At the least, it’s an hour well spent.

Pinpointing all the influences and styles on The Ruin of Nová Roma isn’t the most fun thing to do, but I’d say this has a post-rock/post-hardcore feel to it (think Neurosis, Pelican, Knut, et al), though there’s an almost-tangible likeness to modern forward-thinkers such as Burst and Mastodon. Really, in all honesty, the comparisons unwind piecemeal. Still, it’s not as if Taint are plagiarizing. While there are hints of other bands within these 10 glorious tracks, this trio manages to emit uniqueness – consequently, freshness – at every bend in the road. I think I’d be doing a disservice by mentioning which groups appear where, but on the other hand, it would lend them credibility like nothing else. So bask in the driving Capricorns-esque rhythms during the opening of “The Sound-Out Competition,” which has a few quirky Mastodon-ish guitar licks in place for extra oomph. Perhaps the Pelican-isms on “The Ruin of Nová Roma” will satiate you, along with the retro riffage found in “I’m Going to Kill Henry Ford.” Or maybe you’d prefer Taint to sideswipe you with an awesome, awesome riffing pattern, and rather than cut it abruptly like many outfits do too often, actually hammer it in through sweet, sweet repetition. The last minutes of “The Idol/The Memory” come to mind. Listening to any of these songs out of context won’t spoil this package, but frankly this record should be gulped down whole.

Though The Ruin of Nová Roma is not comparison-free, I believe Taint crafted something of extreme value here, a release that builds off predecessors’ work yet forwards it at the same time. However, I also think this won’t be crowned best album of 2006 – barring an upset of course – since there are so many veterans out there lusting for that prize. Plus it was released in the U.K. last year, so there’s another strike for some of you anal-retentive types out there. Nevertheless, if any artists in this review tickle your fancy, I advise procuring this immediately as it is not only enjoyable, but quite impressive in its own right. Looks like the 12 years of practice paid off guys!

8.5/10

UM’s Review Rating Scale

Official Taint Website
Official Candlelight Records Website