TANGERINE DREAM: Under Cover

KingsGene

God of Thunder
Apr 1, 2005
near KC
www.kingsofthenight.com
Taking a leap that anyone from this forum would have a clue about one of my all time favorite synth bands...Tangerine Dream!

From www.melodicrock.com :

TANGERINE DREAM EXPLORES THE ELECTRONIC SIDE OF CLASSIC AND MODERN ROCK SONGS ON UNDER COVER:

Tangerine Dream explores the electronic side of classic and modern rock songs on Under Cover, released via Cleopatra Records on October 16. The 14-track collection is a unique covers record from a band known for breaking musical barriers.

Under Cover features founding Tangerine Dream member Edgar Froese and the band reimagining songs that range from the experimental and expansive, like David Bowie's “Space Oddity” and the Beatles “Norwegian Wood” to Americana favorites like The Eagles “Hotel California” and Chris Isaak's “Wicked Game.” Pink Floyd, Kraftwerk, the Goo Goo Dolls, Leonard Cohen, Depeche Mode, and more are also taken on with Tangerine Dream's ambient soundscape.

Each member of the band selected tracks that intimately resonated with them. Froese chose “Everybody Hurts,” Space Oddity,” and “Heroes” on which he played synth, mellotron, and provided vocals.

Percussionist/drummer Iris Camaa selected “Wicked Game,” “Hotel California,” and “Iris.” Flutist and singer Linda Spa chose “The Model,” “Suzanne,” and “Forever Young.” Thorsten Quaeschning, main vocalist and synth/guitar player, chose “Cry Little Sister,” “Precious,” and “Hallelujah.” Guitarist Bernhard Beibl elected to cover “Norwegian Wood” and “Wish You Were Here.”

Tangerine Dream, with Froese, has been affecting the musical playing field since 1967. Liberal experimentation with instruments, technology, and sound puts TD in genres including EDM, underground, new age, ambient, and krautrock. They were using sequencing techniques before sequencers existed, acquired a Moog early on, and in a live setting, utilized light technology in both minimalist and surrealistic ways. The band has provided soundtracks to several movies including Sorcerer, Risky Business, Legend, and Near Dark. Tangerine Dream still creates and performs today; Froese recently collaborated on the track “Kashmir” featured on the debut release from dubstep buzz band Blackburner (Cleopatra Records).

Tangerine Dream will be performing on the Cruise to the Edge, a very special music excursion with Yes, UK, Saga, Carl Palmer, Nektar, Zebra & Glass Hammer. The cruise departs Fort Lauderdale for five days around Grand Cayman and Jamaica on March 25.

Under Cover Track List: 1. Cry Little Sister (orig. Gerard McMann) 2. Everybody Hurts (orig. REM) 3. Precious (orig. Depeche Mode) 4. Space Oddity (orig. David Bowie) 5. The Model (orig. Kraftwerk) 6. Wicked Game (orig. Chris Isaak) 7. Hotel California (orig. The Eagles) 8. Suzanne (orig. Leonard Cohen) 9. Heroes (orig. David Bowie) 10. Forever Young (orig. Alphaville) 11. Iris (orig. Goo Goo Dolls) 12. Norwegian Wood (orig. The Beatles) 13. Hallelujah (orig. Leonard Cohen) 14. Wish You Were Here (orig. Pink Floyd).

Streaming MP3: “Space Oddity”: soundcloud.com/brosseaupr/space-oddity-tangerine-dream/s-5d1Hy .

Cool, one of my favorite "non-metal" bands, really atmospheric! Their soundtracks are fantastic as well, really love "Thief" -

I think the name Tangerine Dream rings a bell. Let me see what I have in my collection. Oh yeah! :loco:

Tangerine Dream Electronic Meditation 1970 CD
Tangerine Dream Alpha Centauri 1971 CD
Tangerine Dream Zeit 1972 CD
Tangerine Dream Atem 1973 CD
Tangerine Dream Green Desert 1973 CD
Tangerine Dream Phaedra 1973 CD
Tangerine Dream Rubycon 1975 CD
Tangerine Dream Ricochet 1975 CD
Tangerine Dream Stratosfear 1976 CD
Tangerine Dream Encore - Tangerine Dream Live 1977 CD
Tangerine Dream Sorceror 1977 CD
Tangerine Dream Cyclone 1978 CD
Tangerine Dream Force Majeure 1979 CD
Tangerine Dream Tangram 1980 CD
Tangerine Dream Pergamon 1981 CD
Tangerine Dream Thief 1981 CD
Tangerine Dream Exit 1981 CD
Tangerine Dream Logos - Tangerine Dream Live 1982 CD
Tangerine Dream White Eagle 1982 CD
Tangerine Dream Hyperborea 1983 CD
Tangerine Dream Poland: The Warsaw Concert 1984 CD
Tangerine Dream Le Parc 1985 CD
Tangerine Dream Underwater Sunlight 1986 CD
Tangerine Dream Canyon Dreams 1987 CD
Tangerine Dream Tyger 1987 CD
Tangerine Dream Live Miles 1988 CD
Tangerine Dream Destination Berlin 1988 CD
Tangerine Dream Optical Race 1988 CD
Tangerine Dream Miracle Mile 1989 CD
Tangerine Dream Lily on the Beach 1989 CD
Tangerine Dream Melrose 1990 CD
Tangerine Dream Rockoon 1992 CD
Tangerine Dream 220 Volt Live 1993 CD
Tangerine Dream Turn of the Tides 1994 CD
Tangerine Dream Tyranny of Beauty 1995 CD
Tangerine Dream Dream Mixes 1995 CD
Tangerine Dream The Goblin's Club 1996 CD
Tangerine Dream Ambient Monkeys 1998 CD
Tangerine Dream Mars Polaris 1999 CD
Tangerine Dream The Seven Letters to Tibet 2000 CD
Tangerine Dream Inferno 2002 CD
Tangerine Dream Booster 2008 DL

Any suggestions for more recent stuff is welcome, every time I see their discography, it looks like they release at least 3 or 4 CDs per year. It's hard to keep straight new material vs remixes vs etc.

Ken

Cool. Nice to see anything new coming from them, in the hopes that they will produce something worthwhile. Can't say I'm big on a cover album though.... Most of their recent material, and by recent, I mean since the late 90s, hasn't been very good to me. I listened to a ton of this stuff when I was in my formative years though, so the early albums are classics to me.

I did recently get a concert DVD of theirs, "Rocking Out The Bats", which isn't very old, and is great to have on when I'm coding.