Tankard -B-Day

Griffin-

Leather Rebel
Jul 7, 2003
Netherlands
Visit site
Tankard – B-Day, 2002

This record has been finished to perfection in it’s own sound. They changed their venue (Stage One Studio) for recording, and makes this album sound fresher and recording at a higher level. Any 80’s thrasher will have to listen to this record, and not only as respect for the masterpieces they used to make back then! The album is, needless to say, again about beer, religion and social problems and let’s not forget the Tankard humor is still there!

The Tankard albums before ‘B-Day’ were alright but, unfortunately not more than that. Had nothing much to add. This album though, has everything! It’s absolutely on my top 10 Thrash-list, as it will be for a long time!

The album blows away with ‘Notorious Scum’, a pure thrash assault. Second is ‘Rectifier’, another fast song full of quality. The chorus line is great, it definitely makes you want to see them live, and scream along the lines. While reviewing this song, it’s most likely I won’t get it out of my head before today. The third track named ‘Need Money For Beer’ (I do in fact) is another favorite. It’s staggeringly fast, sharp, and amazing solo’s at about 2:20! I can really recommend you all the songs, because the next song ‘Ugly, Fat and Still Alive’ is another killer. Once you own this album, and you put it on, you’ll have trouble stopping it, this record is highly addictive! You’ll hear them roar "Twenty Years of Thrash Till Death!" and that’s what they do, they thrash you to death. Upcoming is ‘Underground’. Giving you the familiar Tankard-riffs, and apart from that, this song is somewhat slower, and can’t be put as typically Tankard, I like it moderately less. It hasn’t got the overthrowing power like the other tracks, a bit dull, if you like. Next, ‘Voodoo Box’ blows you away with the recognizable Tankard-force! The next track is ‘Sunscars’ is yet again brilliant, and fits perfectly in ‘B-Day’. The eighth track ‘Zero Dude’, is another favorite! One of my three favorites on this record, it’s fast, it varies a lot, raging solo’s and just a pile of plain old thrash. Some goes for the follow-up called ‘New Liver Please’, which in my opinion is a great title haha! The ninth track ‘Rundown Quarter’ is another masterpiece and hereby my third favorite, random order though, cause I like this track even better than Zero Dude. I simply love the beginning, this song is (yes again, goes for all the others too) a great headbanging song! Then, coming to the last track, ‘Alcoholic Nightmares’, another high-speed track. Doesn’t get my votes as high as Rectifier or Rundown Quarter, but well needless to say, another great song.

The thing that I’d like to bring up, is the fact that this album is complete, nothing is missing nor could anything be better. Maybe their style (as it differs from ‘Zombie Attack for example), but within their goals of this album they more than accomplish that! As for Tankard, they’re back and let’s hope they’ll THRASH TILL DEATH!

Rating 9/10

Griffin