tape/clothing on neck?

blackbull

Dec 6, 2011
Norway
Does everyone record like that? I usually tie a piece of cloth around the neck when doing solos but it mutes the strings too much so i can't do riffs with it.

I usually will tape the strings that the player isn't using at all, and strings that he doesn't need the open note, section by section as we record.

I usually will tape the strings that the player isn't using at all, and strings that he doesn't need the open note, section by section as we record.

This. I use paper tape (the one that plasterers use) for this, as it's easy to peel off, and it doesn't leave any traces after that.

A soft bit of foam gasket material between the strings and the headstock, works like a charm.

I use paper tape on the strings (not dampening too much) for solo/lead. Nothing for rhythm. Wonder where you guys place it exactly. 1st fret (without 2 low strings) closer to the nut with just a little dampening for rhythm?

I'm always sitting right beside the guitarist while he's tracking, so I just place my thumb or finger between the nut and the first fret. That way I can actively mute and unmute strings as needed throughout the riff. If the guitarist is playing on the lower frets and my hand would be in the way, I mute the higher strings further up the fretboard.

As any stage manager will tell you, gaff tape fixes everything. Fixes ringy headstocks, fixes loose cables, fixes unlabeled desks, fixes loud singers. Comes off clean and you know who's boss at the end of the day.

I find it important to dampen the strings during rhythm tracking and leads. Piece of paper towel or tape or anything. Last time, I just slipped paper towel under the high strings (recording rhythms) up near the 17-19 frets. Worked great for eliminated any high string noise when playing riffs on low strings.

Ordered some Fretwraps after seeing Fred Brum and Ola using them.

fretwraps-ant.png