Target to carry Dragonforce 'Inhuman Rampage'!

TheGraveDigger

Heavy Metal Maniac
Sep 29, 2002
Union, NJ, USA
I am an Electronics/Entertainment team leader (department manager) for Target. Upon setting this mornings new releases I noticed on the stores workbench Entertainment website that the new released for 6/13 and 6/20 had been posted which is a listing of the cd's we are expected to receive that day. Sure enough for 6/20 on a list of 20 or so cd's Dragonforce's Inhuman Rampage was dead smack in the middle of it. Glad they are getting this kind of exposure. I hope they open the doors for more power metal.

I bet those bozos who paid $99 for it through Amazon are going to feel like schmucks.

Oh yes, especially knowing how new releases go at Target the first week it is probably going to be $10 or $11. The new Shadows Fall next week I believe will be like $8.99 for the first week and its regular price is only $9.99.

I am generally pleased with Target's music selection. I now wish they'd work at improving their book department a little more.

TheGraveDigger said:
I am an Electronics/Entertainment team leader (department manager) for Target. Upon setting this mornings new releases I noticed on the stores workbench Entertainment website that the new released for 6/13 and 6/20 had been posted which is a listing of the cd's we are expected to receive that day. Sure enough for 6/20 on a list of 20 or so cd's Dragonforce's Inhuman Rampage was dead smack in the middle of it. Glad they are getting this kind of exposure. I hope they open the doors for more power metal.

Is Target's music selection decided at a corporate level, or it is like Best Buy or Borders, where the department managers play a big role in what each individual store carries? While it's not surprising that a release on Roadrunner (which is now partially major-label owned) would wind up getting good distribution, I still doubt any of the 3 Target stores within 20 minutes of me would carry it unless it was mandated by the corporation.

I shop a lot at Target, but never think to check out their selection of CDs unless I’m looking for something really mainstream – like a soundtrack. I'd love a heads up on other metal releases that Target is going to stock!

I have had the new Dragonforce since January.
I never knew it was something difficult to find.
I have a Mexican pressing on SCARECROW records.
Only paid like $14.99 for it.

I have noticed that Target usually carries Ozzfest bands.
I remember a couple years back they had the new Dimmu Borgir.

Target's music selection is picked on a corporate level so all Target's will have the new Dragonforce. In the past I've seen Target carry Dimmu Borgir and Cradle of Filth. Just this year we got the new Operation Mindcrime from Queensryche on it's release date. Other artists I've seen since working at Target include As I Lay Dying, Chimara, Shadows Fall, Lacuna Coil, Arch Enemy, Black Dahlia Murder, Devildriver, Iron Maiden, Judas Priest, Whitesnake and a few others. Just recently well after its release some stores got Are You Dead Yet? by Children of Bodom. I received a browser card for Children of Bodom to put in the rock and pop section but no copies were ever sent to my store. I did do merchandise locate on the register though with the COB item number and a good amount of stores did get it. I know next week we are getting the new Shadows Fall and something from Rush, a new compilation I am assuming. The week after that is Dragonforce.

I think this album is going to sell really well. I'm very sure it is going to be on sale at the local music store I work at (Record and Tape Traders), and considering it's going to be the first widely available Dragonforce record in America, EVERYONE is going to be interested in this album. I'm sure the combination of Ozzfest main stage and Roadrunner Records are what helped bring this album to department stores ala Target and probably Wal Mart as well. 6/20 is THE day! I know I'm going to be blasting this album alot once it is finally released. Cheers!

Empress said:
This could be a good thing, or this can become annoying.

How could it become annoying? I mean, especially for you, since you're such a fan of the band (to the point of coming to NYC froM FL to see them), you should be happy they're getting this good of exposure.

However, if you're worried about the fact that the mall/hot topic kids will get heavily into it and start worshipping them, then you have plenty of reasons to be concerned. I also will be really sad if they become the next hot topic band... :cry::cry:

Honestly who gives a fuck if they become a Hot Topic band? As long as they continue to make and play the music you love and don't change that fuck what they become or what umbrella they fall under.

TheGraveDigger said:
Honestly who gives a fuck if they become a Hot Topic band? As long as they continue to make and play the music you love and don't change that fuck what they become or what umbrella they fall under.

Agreed 110%.

I'm beginning to like your attitude more and more, GD.

TheGraveDigger said:
Hail! I wonder if Wal-Mart will be carrying it now that DF is on the RR label?

TheGraveDigger said:
Agreed! I've never understood the attitude of they're 'our' band and wanting to keep them to ourselves. I am not a Dragonforce fan, but I would be happy to see them sell big numbers here. That would open doors for more of the bands that are so underappreciated.

There just seems to be an elitist attitude within the power/prog metal scene that really bothers me. Now don't get me wrong, this attitude exists in other genres/sub-genres of music, as well. Back in the heyday of punk, there was no bigger bunch of elitists than in that scene. I just can't see how a band like this having their cd carried by Target could be a bad thing.

I will say that I can see both sides of the "mainstream popularity" issue. My final attitude is, if a band I like can make a living doing what they love - more power to them.

But for the old fans of metal (or any other musical scene), seeing something they love turned into a flavor of the month can be frustrating. Suddenly you got a bunch of people who like something just because someone else told them it was cool to. And the older fans...they don't want to look like they jumped a bandwagon, either.

But for the crowds of fairweather trendoids, you're gonna have some people who are going to be exposed to a sound they never knew existed - far, far away from the Hinders and Three Days Graces of the world... And those people are going to stick around.

It's one of those never ending cycle things. I personally like what I like, and try to ignore what other people are into. Heck, the last two CDs I bought were Coldplay's "X&Y" and AFI's "Decemberunderground."

I don't care if fake people or posers listen to the stuff that I like. The way that I look at it is if it is gonna make the band popular and make them a lot more money than that is good because they will come back to America and we will see and hear from them a lot more often. The only time I do mind is when the band changes their style completely and sells out. I hate what In Flames became after getting popular. Their new album is a lot better than the previous two though still not to my liking but they saw they were getting big so they capitalized on the whole nu metal thing and that I did not like. Bands like Sonata Arctica and Children of Bodom are getting huge here and they show no signs of selling out and both bands keep releasing quality material that they wanna write and release not what corporate America wants to hear them write and release.