Tarot - "Spell Of Iron 25th Anniversary", the classic debut re-recorded

St Enigma

Sep 11, 2005

For an appetizer of Tarot's completely re-recorded "Spell Of Iron 25th Anniversary", NuclearBlast Europe uploaded this brand new video of "Wings Of Darkness" on YouTube yesterday.

To celebrate the 25th anniversary of their classic debut "Spell Of Iron" Tarot have re-recorded the whole album using modern sounds and technology which was not available in the 80s'.

No release date given yet, but the band will launch a tour in Finland starting Apr 6. which indicates that the wait for the CD won't be too long any more.

I have followed the band from the days of the original vinyl release of Spell Of Iron and love it as it was, but also this new version is great! Sure they had two guitarists back then, but still, the keys became Tarot's organic part soon after the second album was released in 1988 and have remained until today. Also changing to use two vocalists has given even more power and variation to their performance, a fact that can't be overlooked.

The band's current attitude and dedication to the cause oozing from this video is impressive enough to justify this re-recorded version. For me the 25th Anniversary CD will be a must buy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The original version is WAY better, IMO....

and I had no idea they did a video for it. Holy crap, is that the same band?? I have my doubts

Last edited by a moderator:
Yeah, they did, and for a very good reason they were considered a hairband back then. :D

It is the same band, but in all fairness, don't you think that 25 years can make wonders to peoples' outlooks? o_O ...and not always towards the worse...

I really like the original. Don't get me wrong, this isn't bad but I doubt I'll get the re-recording. I just hope they do that US tour they said they might do this year.

I'll never understand why people think modern recordings sound better than actual human beings in a studio recording on analogue 2 inch tape via real amps and real drums.

I tend to prefer Tarot's newer stuff but am also of the mind that the old version is way better.
Dude's voice hasn't fared very well over the years.

I understand that 20 years is a lot of strain on the voxbox, but...really now, that's nothing that regular vocal coaching couldn't have prevented, and it's one thing to lose a little bit of range, but losing pitch control?

I'll never understand why people think modern recordings sound better than actual human beings in a studio recording on analogue 2 inch tape via real amps and real drums.

It's not the equipment, it's the way they redid the song. It has a different feel to it. I understand that they can do more "studio magic" with computers instead of 16 and 24 track analog tape. I also hear it makes the recording process much easier (do all your recording and editing on a computer instead of a tape that moves at 15 IPS)

The best sounding records are from the 70s and 80s. (IMO)

Some recent bands do a nice job but it is because they are recording analogue (graveyard, witchcraft, black bonzo and many others).

It's just easier with the computers and honestly I think the majority of listeners don't care as long as it sounds "good" to them.

Dude's voice hasn't fared very well over the years.

I understand that 20 years is a lot of strain on the voxbox, but...really now, that's nothing that regular vocal coaching couldn't have prevented, and it's one thing to lose a little bit of range, but losing pitch control?
There are factors that vocal coaching won't overcome. I like both versions differently. Great song; great sound in different ways. This will be a must buy for me too.

That's not true. As AMBR pointed out, there's plenty of other factors that could affect that - and not be corrected by vocal coaching.

The best sounding records are from the 70s and 80s. (IMO)

Some recent bands do a nice job but it is because they are recording analogue (graveyard, witchcraft, black bonzo and many others).

It's just easier with the computers and honestly I think the majority of listeners don't care as long as it sounds "good" to them.

YESSSSSSSS

It's really a matter of an individual recording, an individual studio, a lot of stuff. For example for my band's new EP we're in a studio equipped with *the* latest Pro Tools, but for guitar tones, drum tones, everything, all we did was get a great sound out of the rooms and turn some bass/mids, etc up and down, no Line 6 guitar, sampling out of a computer, etc. And it sounds polished and amazing but aside from the drums having some normalizing applied to them (from hits already organically attained), there isn't really 'studio wizardry' going on, but some may think so only because it would sound so clean. It's really the methodology of doing things that I'm loyal to rather than a specific technology. You can still dial in a plethora of mixes on a Mac, you just need a clear vision and an engineer who will actually listen to you. :p And I totally understand the appeal of older records and obviously 80's metal is some of my favorite stuff ever, but, like, I won't dampen or fuzz the production just to sound like that or give the impression of being old school. :loco:

Just got this cd and wow!!! It is really good. I may have to pick up the original cd. Very impressive.